Need Help with New Cichlid tank!!!

25 posts • Page 3 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

@alasse....you are correct tank was not cycled.....I had only put one fish in a few days after the bunch of little fish died....and even the one fish died in 2 hours...not thinking it is cycle issue....especially with such quick of a death on just one 2 inch fish.

Alasse

by Alasse

Have you seen what ammonia poisoning does to a fish? It can kill them in seconds, its horrible. And you have a decent ammonia level showing, which will only climb.

Cichlids do not abolsutely have to have salts added to the water. I have cichlids and do not add salts. They are gorgeous colours and breeding well.

Why still add more fish to a tank that is having issues, i would be emptying it and starting again. To keep subjecting more fish to the situation is cruel and not something that should be done.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

@Alasse....Thanks for your animal rights speel.......no need to be harsh....if I thought they were going to die....do you think I would of bought them.....duh!?
I am starting over......thanks for the salt advice...

Alasse

by Alasse

Thats not harsh, sorry if you feel that way.

Having 1 lot of fish die with in an hour is bad enough and that can happen, done it myself. But honestly why go out and buy a second lot and toss em into a tank that is obviously not right??

Fish do not drop dead on masse in a short time if the tank is not a toxic wasteland

Again not being harsh but just trying to help.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

@alasse.....didn't look if I wrote it in the previous forum talk....but I added another 8 fish after 3 days and a 50% water change.....didn't just dump 8 more fish into tank with making no changes to it.....on each occasion.....ammonnia levels did not alter....came to realize that the GE 100% pure silicon II may be safe for minimal use but the amount that I used making the caves out of lava rock guttering was most likely too much....starting over using PVC not vinyl gutters and silicon from the lfs not the GE silicon II.....hopefully all will be fine....wont know until I finish it.....which wont be for a week or two.

Need Help with New Cichlid tank!!!

25 posts • Page 3 of 3