10 gallon newb....sorta

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sanna92

10 gallon newb....sorta

by Sanna92

First off, I'm new to the site and I say hello^_^

Ok, I just recently bought a 10 gallon tank. I've had fish before but that was 7, almost 8 years ago and I had no idea what I was doing back then. I haven't set it up yet but that'll happen this week. I decided to use sand as a substrate and I want to put real plants in there as well, along with some decor too. I was thinking of getting a Dwarf Gourami but I don't know what other kind of fish I could put in there, seeing as it's a 10 gallon tank. I was thinking an algae eater as well, but what else could I get? Any advice? I know I'm thinking in the future, after my tank is done cycling and all that, but I wanted to make sure that the fish I buy are the fish I want.

boylestd

by boylestd

The general rule for fish is 1 inch per a gallon, also mind the fish's temperment. I have heard that multiple male gouramis do not get along. Just research the type of fish you want. Dont get a common pleco because it will grow far too large for your tank.

neontank

by neontank

dont get to many gouramis for this size tank as the lfs usually only selss the males beacasue they are more colourfull and also wait a little while to put in an algae eater beacause there will not be that much algae for it to eat even if you feed it algae wafers

Sanna92

by Sanna92

I was only wanting to get one gourmani and possibly some neon tetras. I've seen/read on how big pleco's can get and I'm not bothering on a common, just a small algae eater after the tank's been set up a while.

MayhemMonkey

by MayhemMonkey

i haven't had luck with dwarf gouramis they always seem to be a bit too aggressive and fin nippy for my tastes, especially with small tanks. i had one in a ten gallon and it liked to harass my poor little platties. maybe if possible you could go for a sunset gourmai. i have two males in my 29 gallon and they are very docile. then again maybe i just had bad dwarf gouramis. :p

as for an algae eater otos are nice and they don't get big at all.
2bbeb-a.jpg
63652-b.jpg

tucker15

by tucker15

i would say 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis
5 guppies
and a couple algae eaters
666c6-250445_234509283230210_100000134203217_1108578_396711_n.jpg

Skye01

by Skye01

Hi There,

The Sunset Gourami as pictured above gets to be about 10cm, trust me I have one. An ideal Gourami to get is the little Honey, they are quite docile and remain at a cute 5/6cm. They also have interesting feeding habits...

As for algae eaters, even Otos, I find that they start to pester your other fish and try to latch onto the side of some of the slower moving fish. The Algae Eater I find tends to get quite territorial with size and age, so I got rid of mine. I would suggest an Ancistris Catfish or Panda Corys they generally clean up the substrate and such. If you want something that tends to keep algae at bay have a look at getting a couple of regular Mollies, they seem to love eating algae.

Hope this helps you out.
Kim

10 gallon newb....sorta

7 posts