new tank and need some help with decisions

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and currently have not stocked it i am currently deciding wether to stock this tank between two different setups

The first setup would to be to purchase a juevenile discus from my lfs or 2 if its possible (only about 1 - 1 1\2 inch each) a pleco ( bristlenose most likely) and some tetras (either rummy nose or neon) this is the setup i would most prefer to have

the second was i was going to go with 3-4 african cichlids from my lfs and have a pleco aswell possibly live long with them or if not just some cichlids
any comments or suggetions are appreciated. i do really want to do the first setup as i love discus and would love to house some in this tank atleast until the grow to big for it even if it i just 1 for the time being

Also the tank is well filtered i have a aqueon 40 filter on it which is working quite well and i use a ugf too

Please reply soon and thanks!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first you must cycle the tank with 2-3 hardy fish...do you know anything about cycling? If so, please explain

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Discus should be kept in groups and might not do well if you only buy one or two. They are finicky fish and should have a well established tank. The smaller the tank, the less margin of error you have in caring for these fish. I think keeping discus in a 20 gallon tank might be a bit risky. Anyway, whats the point in keeping fish you know will soon outgrow your tank?

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

yes i am very familiar with the nitrogen cycle i have already a pre established 10 gallon tank with 2 bristlenose plecos 3 guppys a koi swortail and a mickey mouse the new tank has some old filter media in the new filter and also some of the old ornaments from another established tank that i broke down in order to set this one up. this tank has been running for over a month now and i have been throwing some food in there every day or so too keep a source of ammonia present (hopefully).

i did want to keep these discus in this tank because #1 i love discus but temporarily lack the room to house them #2 i would eventually be upgrading them into my girlfriends 29 gallon tank or mine if i upgrade within that time period.
Another thing that i was thinking is that if the discus were bought as juveniles wont the size of the tank delay or even not allow them to grow to full size? i am looking only to buy them if they are small, about 1.5 inches maximum. Also my 10 gallon tank conditions are very well kept ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate ~30-40 no higher and i preform water changes on a weekly basis, around 10% give or take. I also will be doing the same for the 20 gallon tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

The more seed material you can procure, the faster the cycle will go. Seed material is anything you can take from an established tank. Filter media (sponges/floss/ceramic media) is the #1 best. This stuff is full of bacteria and exactly what you want. You should add some fish food as well but fish food alone will not create the cycling process you need.

so you can hope all you like...................hopefully you get either the above or 2-3 hardy fish...I have no idea the reason people would go the fishless cycle unless they like to experiment (I don't buy the humane way argument). 2-3 hardy fish like cherry barbs or zebra danios can withstand most any chemical imbalances. There is very little harm done unless of course the fish keeper does not water change and water test during the cycle. In other words, if the ammonia rises to about 6 ppm and never goes down, then yes it can become toxic to the fish or lethal, but it is simply the fish keeper not knowing or having done enough research before he or she started the cycling in the first place.

Fishless cycle also takes away from the overall experience of fish keeping. Wouldn't you prefer to enjoy the entire process with the fish. By observing, water testing, water changing, watching the fish in the beginning stages plus beings there would be only 2-3 fish, the fish has a much lesser possibility of harming itself for there is more area in the tank initially.

But this is your choice, I just think it robs the fish keeper of the overall experience from the get go and it's really saying that the aquarist knows very little about the hobby or hasn't done their research before placing the fish in the tank because he or she is apprehensive about killing fish. To me, no offense, it's a poor argument.

Anyway, you do what you think is best...your tank your idea and your (future) fish.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

That's great that you have filter media you can use from an already established tank. Just make sure you introduce new fish slowly, two or three at a time and you should be fine.

As for the myth that fish will not outgrow their tank. Yes, it may stunt their growth, but this is neither healthy nor humane. I have seen a pleco in a tank that it literally could not turn around in. These fish almost always die prematurely, never reaching their full size...so in a sense, i guess it's true.

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

okay fnny you should say that i actually just picked up 5 neon tetras from my lfs because i got em for a steal so they are in the 20 gallon right now by themselves i am going to take some rocks out of the 10 gallon that i have aswell as some of the filter media or fake plants i have. one question i have is that in this tank there is white gravel i am using and the tetras are not coming out they seem to be just hiding, they also have only been in there for a hour so i am not sure what could be bothering them. i think it may be a combination of the lighting and the gravel as i have a ultra sun florescet bulb. is brightness on a light a big factor for them if so what florescent lighting is suggested or what do you all of you use?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I think tetras do prefer subdued lighting, but i wouldn't worry about it yet. If they've only been in there an hour, they are probably just scared. It can take fish a day or two to get used to their new surroundings. I have kept neon tetras in bright lights without problems.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with natalie - actually, neon tetras will literally shine in bright light...they just need a time to adjust to the new tank

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

okay its been about 24 hours now and they still seem to be acting odd, could the white gravel with a bright light be doing it or could it just be them adjusting still, i also do not want to run into this with the discus i put in there

Also i will be upgrading the discus to a 60 gallon tank within the months that they start to grow as i am installing one within 5-6 months

13 posts • Page 1 of 2