Vertical Tank Questions

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

mankup007

Vertical Tank Questions

by mankup007

Hello Everyone,

This is my first topic on this forum. This is my first forum of fish and aquarium and I love it very much, Everything here is too much good and nice and great and one more thing I don't have words to express. (Please Don't mind my language grammar and spelling)

So I have some questions about the vertical fish tank. Since we don't have much space in our room for horizontally tank, that's why I decided to make a vertical aquarium by my own. When I was making I don't know anything, I only know that I just have to put the fish in that tank and it's all done. But when the making is in progress I started to read some articles and topics in this forum. And then I know that it is not the thing that you just put the fish in the tank, but there is a lot things to do and to make the fish alive, happy and healthy. I have one picture of my tank and you can see that in my profile.

My tank is 3 foot height, 1 foot width, 1 foot length. That is about 20 gallon because I left some part empty. Now I have 11 fishes in it and I have under-gravel filter, so from here the question start :-

Do I need more space, will fish be ok in this, do fish get enough space to swim, what else I can do to make my fish health and happy.

I know the rules now about the fish that how much water they need normally. But after some time I will be making another tank which will be of 403.95 Gallon. And I want to keep some of my old fish in it with some other new fish too. But since this tank will be a lot much expensive so for sure it will take time.

I want to know what else I can do so that no fish die, till now only one has die and about 28 days has gone. I am happy that my fish are alive and I will try to make them alive how much I can.

I can also donate my fish to pet store if my tank is over crowed. So please help me and tell me.

Thanks in advanced bye bye take care....

tekneb

by tekneb

What type of fish do you have? Some fish stay very small and will do fine in a tank that size, others will quickly outgrow your tank.

mankup007

by mankup007

I have goldfish and carp fish. Goldfish are very small about an inch long and carp are about 2 inch long. I feed them once in a day and this is really nice because it make them swim every time because in the search of food.

Alasse

by Alasse

Goldfish/carp are unsuitable for that tank

mankup007

by mankup007

Thanks for the reply, then please let me know what kind of fish I can keep in my tank, I was known that the goldfish need very much water to be healthy but I just kept them and after some time I can transfer them in my second tank. I was thinking this to do that's why i kept them.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Twenty gallons is not a lot of space, but the SHAPE of the tank is going to be even more limiting. Not only are all medium to large fish out of the question (goldfish and carp get to be HUGE), but so are small fish who like to have a lot of room to swim (like zebra danio). Also, your small amount of surface area is going to provide a much smaller space for oxygen exchange. This will also limit the amount of fish you can put in the tank. I think a group of guppies would be nice.

mankup007

by mankup007

thanks natalie265, I will get guppies as soon as I can, and one more thing can i keep about 10-20 guppies in it or not,if not then please let me know how much, thanks for helping me all of you guys.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

always good to have a tank that is long and wide rather than tall

the key to a fish tank shape is how much area...much better than having a 20 gallon long than a 20 gallon tall...it gives the fish much more room to swim about...angel fish like tall tanks, but the fish which do like or can handle taller tanks are small and in between

so the next tank you get, be sure to focus on long and width...and if not width, at least long....so overall, the length of the tank is what matters most

mankup007

by mankup007

thanks for your help and replies, I want to know one more thing, I know that it will be good to replace my tank as soon as it is possible for the sake of the fish, but I want to know that how much time my fish can live in this kind of tank like for example if it is 6 months (time limit) than I will be buying (making) the new tank in 4 months or less, I want to know please help me. I know the fish are suffering in this kind of tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well I do not think your fish may die, but the fish are certainly stressed

if you can purchase a minimum size tank of 40 gallons long in about 90 days or sooner, I am sure the fish would thank you

I realize our financial situations are different, but if you do upgrade, try to get as close as possible to a 55 gallon long tank (I believe 55 gallon long should be the minimum size tank for a beginner)...but if you can't, see if you can get a 40 gallon long

let us know what you decide...any questions we're here to help

Vertical Tank Questions

15 posts • Page 1 of 2