Snail War!!!

33 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cwilkin

by cwilkin

No they are not ramshorn I know what they look like. When these snails are full grown they are still tiny and really flat not at all like ramshorn. Ramshorn get bigger and they are red. These are clear when first born and do not get bigger than a eraser. I wish they were ramshorn they are easier to get rid of than these guys. I hand pic out at least 50 everyday. I am hopeing to get ahead of these snails.
85b51-phpID5Oa7PM[1].jpg

cwilkin

by cwilkin

That is as big as they get. The guy at the fish store didnt know what kind they were either.

Newguy70

by Newguy70

Well i actually decided to go with a dwarf puffer, I know this was not mentioned, however this seemed the best option available to me, and he is the coolest littlle fish i have ever seen, and he is not bothering my other fish ( something I was a bit worried about). However the guy at my fish market told me that the clown loaches are a problem as they get pretty big (atleast the variety here that is available). So to date since my last report no issues as of yet as my snail poppulation is now under control....

Thnx guys.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

picture is not good enough to tell the type of snail (no fault of your own)...I agree with Alasse, considering they are spiral, they have to be ramshorn (as I posted in "1" page of this thread)...ramshorn snails do not get to huge either

thing is, what amazes me on this forum as with all other "experts" in this field, us humans get so caught up in this "perfect" look of an aquarium...and this viewpoint is quite unsettling because we as aquarists need to understand that nature will take care of nature...in other words, try not to be so concerned, it's okay to have all kinds of growth in the tank as long as the water testing is within normal range

key to this hobby is very very simple: water test results and consistency...as long as these two things are followed to a "T" the tank is okay (of course one shouldn't have aggressive and community fish togther, but this is just common sense, you know?); but as long as the water tests are within normal range, then s=do not concern yourself with all these "snails" or whatever it is

it may appear as a nuisance to us humans but to a ecosystem it is perfectly fine..so cwilkin, my best advice is, keep water testing and keep the chemicals consistent in the tank and your tank will be fine

cwilkin

by cwilkin

I dont mind snails I just have a real problem with these ones. I acutally like snails and have some that dont eat my plants. I just HATE that these little snails are mowing thru my plants. If they didnt destroy so many plants I wouldnt care about them at all. I'm not trying to make it perrfect just trying to stop the devesation that they are doing. If after all my efforts they still are doing thier thing I guess I will have to give up. There are just SO many of these guys that they are eating a large amount of my plants and the plants are one of my fav parts of my tank. And of course my Discus lol. I'm really not trying to be a perrfectionist lol.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

the key is to identify what type of organism it is, this is a must

then you can understand what preventive measures to take...because you may have to purchase live plants that are resistant to such organisms...but without the identification, you or we will never be able to help you

if not snails, maybe worms? if you can get a better picture especially a picture of them at work on the leaf on the plant, this will help...a good focus lens, up close, will help

okay pal?

cwilkin

by cwilkin

Thats the best I can get with my digital camera lol. I am just gona go with Alasse and say they are Ramshorn. Is there a vairtey that stays small like mine? Thanks for trying to help guys. I wish I could show you what my tank looks like in person the pics dont do it justice lol. I'm sure that that is the case with everyone tho hehehe.
I am going to try the snail trap again but make the holes smaller so my fish cant get in and eat the bait. Will let you know if it works.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

ramshorn snails will stay pretty small - I'd say less than a 1/4" adult

they do breed like crazy but not as crazy as trumpet snails (trumpet snails do not need opposite sexes, a female can breed without the help of a male and populate the tank beyond belief, say about, 100 plus snails per week; this is the reason for the dwarf chain loaches, to help keep the population down)

again, I wouldn't be too concerned about ramshorn; you may try to get some anubias plants, ramshorn will not eat this hardy plant also java fern, this snail and others will not eat it

cwilkin

by cwilkin

Im not crazy about Java fern and I have two beautifull anubias plants. I think thata I already got ride of the trumpet snails by hand picking them out. As soon as I found out that they dont need another snail to reproduce lol. The snails I am having a problem with stay really small even as adults. So thats why I was wondering if they had a variety that stayed tiny. When they are first born they are almost impossible to see bc they are see thru. Thanks guys for your help, your awsome as always :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I don't like java fern either - thank goodness most fish and snails do not like them either lol

probably ramshorn snails...they do not breed as crazy as trumpet snails, they are good cleaners of the tank...good you have anubias (a wonderful plant - only thing I have are anubias of all the varieties)...in time the ramshorn snails will die off, they have a short life, somewhere about a year or less

you may want to purchase a couple gouramis, these fish will devour any snails you have in the tank (that is, if you prefer not to have loaches)

Snail War!!!

33 posts • Page 3 of 4