Snail War!!!

33 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cwilkin

Snail War!!!

by cwilkin

I am currently trying to fight a snail problem so I have been filling my canister filters with hot water and letting them sit so that the heat would kill them. I also use the gravel suction and try to suck them up as much as possible. Dont worry I dont allow them to go down the drains the hose runs outside. I am also had picking snails everyday.

Ok heres what started the war above was my stratic plan. I aboviously got them from the local fish store. I wasn't really worried. Then I noticed that there were a ton of holes on my leaves. I thought maybe they needed iron or something. Low and behold these snails are everywhere having a feast!! They are just like caterpillers!! So now its on!!! I will let you know if my plan works. If you have any suggestions lemme know!!

Alasse

by Alasse

What type of snails are they?

Make a snail trap. Usually though if you are having a snail explosion you are over feeding, thats the only time mine get out of control. I know then to dial back the food.

Lettuce leaf in, turn off lights, come back 2 hours later and pull it and the snails out. Also a container with a food source in the bottom, snails go in and feed, you pull the container out when you feel you have enough.

Newguy70

by Newguy70

Would this work with horn snails as well. I think that my population surge is due to plants that I have added to my tank (Probably should have rinsed prior to putting in the tank). Maybe a freshwater fish of some type that prefers these for dinner, that could keep the population in check? I understand that you do want some in your tank to aerate the soil, however my population needs a pull back...

chrismck

by chrismck

Clown loaches will keep the population in check, they love snails!

Flinch

by Flinch

Clown loaches defiantly will do the trick. you can always try any copper solution used for removing snails, it generally will only kill hatchlings and not the more developed ones unless you dose the tank for days. The clown loaches will do the rest. If no one has told you they can get quite big. loaches are a slightly odd fish and you will probably not see them often they like to hide like plecos and come out at night they also move franticly.

Alasse

by Alasse

My clowns are constantly out and about. Awesome snail killers, but they do get big.

Yoyo's (pakistani) loaches are another awesome snail killer, they stay smaller and would be better suited to most tanks (though not real small tanks of course)

Remeber though if you use a copper solution, it can stay in decorations and decor for life, so if later you decided to keep snails or shrimp, the tank could be a killer. Defiantely not an option i would go down no matter how bad the snails got.

Again though, if the snails are getting out of control, then they have too much food available, you need to llok at your feeding regime

Newguy70

by Newguy70

Sounds like I will have to give the clown loaches ago, as long as I can find here in Thailand. Will let you guys know how I make out.

Thnx.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

snails are cool...I have over 100 snails of various types in the tank I have...key to getting ridding of or at least controlling snail overpopulation is to buy a few loaches...go buy about 6 dwarf chain loaches (run about $100)...I promise in a couple weeks, all the baby snails will be completely under control...as for the larger snails, you can either scoop them out or just keep them in the tank (to clean the tank) as long as they do not eat your live plants (if you have live plants)

if you could identify the snails this would help...but if the snail is a baby, no matter what type, the dwarf chain loach will devour it

cwilkin

by cwilkin

I dont know what the snails are I have never seen them in another tank. They are flat and spiral. They are eating through my plants like caterpillars. I will try the snail trap and let you know. Should I do it at night? I think that they came on some plants that I bought. I was ok with them untill they started destroying my plants. I have 5 clown loaches but they arent eating them!! I think its because its a 125 gallon tank and the population is huge. Wish they would thou. I will let you know how it goes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

only other alternative is to have plants that these ramshorn snails will not eat

yes, they are ramshorn snails

very surprised these loaches do not eat the snails unless you have so many of the snails and not enough loaches, ratio wise

Snail War!!!

33 posts • Page 1 of 4