Tank problem with Nitrite And Ammonia

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

I have just started keeping fish these past month and have two tanks but also have two problems

First off i have had this one tank for about a month now ( 7 gallons) with 3 guppies, 1 platy, and a pleco. For the most part the fish seem to be acting fine and a guppy has been having fry. All levels in this tank are normal except for nitrite which reads extremely high (over 40ppm). I have been doing some water changes, about a gallon, and conditioning the water. I also have been adding bacterial supplement to try to reduce these levels for the past 5 days. The filter i have is a petco brand filter which with the tank but i dont know how good it really is.
Any suggestion on what to do with this tank will be greatly appreciated.

The other problem i have is excessive ammonia in my 10 gallon tank. The 10 gallon uses a aqueon 30 filter, has an under gravel filter installed and also is home to 4 swordtails (2 koi and 2 black ones), and was the home to a gourami which died a couple days ago. The ammonia levels are as high as the test chart can read and the black sword tail is having significant trouble breathing and does not seem to be doing any better. I have been adding bacterial starter to this tank aswell on almost a daily basis to try and kick start the cycle as indicated in instructions. Ive been following this for about 3 days and see little to no improvement.
Any help with this problem also would be greatly appreciated as i am new to the community and could really use the help

Thanks!

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

By the way the 10 gallon is only about 3 weeks new.

Alasse

by Alasse

7 GAL

Stop adding the bacteria. The tank will cycle as you have fish in it, you are just gonna have to be patient and do small daily water changes to keep the stats lower (more fish friendly). Doing larger ones will only prolong the cycle process.

What sort of pleco do you have in there. They are extremely messy fish, poop machines! Not really suitable in that sized tank, even if its a smaller Bristlenose (which can reach 15cm long)

When you say the other stats are normal, what are they? Ammonia and NitrAte? Nitrite is very bad and toxic at 40ppm. This tank has not completed its cycling process

10 GAL

This tank is also cycling, please stop adding bacteria. Small daily water changes need to be done to drop stats

What are the NitrIte and NitrAte readings?

A tank is cycled and stable when the stats are

Ammonia 0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 10-40ppm (lower is better naturally)

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

okay i just got home from school and did tests on both tanks which actually seem a little better than yesterdays
for the 7gal
NitrIte - 5.0ppm
ph - 7.6 (added decreaser)
NitrAte - 20 ppm
Amonia - between 0 and .25ppm the color was very close

For the 10 gallon
NitrIte - 2-3ppm
ph - 7.6 (also added decreaser)
NitrAte - looks about 40 ppm
Ammonia - 3 ppm

Also yes the pleco in the 7 gallon is a bushy nose and is no bigger than 1.5 inches if even that, i was planning on moving him in to the ten then eventually a bigger 20 gallon but im not sure if i should even move him into the 10 gallon considering the conditions as of the moment

any other help is always appreciated and thanks for the reply!

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

also now did a little less than a gallon water change from the 7 and about 1.25 -1.50 gallon change on the 10

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree with Alasse on everything but one point: the tank with the high ammonia problem needs a major water change, not a small one. This will not stall the cycling process. The beneficial bacteria that you are trying to grow live primarily in your filter and substrate, and not in the water column itself. After you get your ammonia down, you can do the smaller water changes, but you are going to start loosing fish if you don't get them out of that water fast.

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

okay i did another 2 gallons on the 10 gallon last night and am going to do another 2 shortly. my 7 gallon has no substrate or gravel, should i add some ? Also what should i do with the pleco? should i just wait for the levels in the 10 gallon to even out and move him into there or just throw him in there now?

Alasse

by Alasse

Bare bottomed tanks are ok, but do require more water changes as there is less for the beneficial bacteria to grab onto. Bonus with them though is the fact you can see and quickly remove mulm.

I would leave the pleco where it is at present, until the 10gal settles

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

okay thanks and what is mulm?

Alasse

by Alasse

Mulm = fish poop leftover food, plant matter, just waste in general

14 posts • Page 1 of 2