Overfeeding Cory's

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

saltair77

Overfeeding Cory's

by saltair77

My tank is new and for now only has three Platies and two Cory's. The Platies appeared a little constipated so I skipped a feeding, I feed twice a day. I still dropped a couple sinking pellets in for the corys. This afternoon I tried soaking granules before feeding them to the Platies. The granules all sunk straight to the bottom. The platies picked off a few pieces on the way down, but most landed on the bottom. I had already dropped acouple more pellets in for the Cory's. They were going crazy eating as fast as they could. Am I going to have a problem with them eating too much? They seem to want to eat ALL the time. I did not expect them to be so active, they are all over the tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

fish eat much more than just the "eyeful" that most experts speak of...fish do 3 things all their lives: mate, scavenge for food and play...food is a biggie in their lives

if the platies are constipated you can drop a few peas in (mush the pulp inside the shell out - discard the pea shell and just drop the pulp into the tank, once or twice a week will rid the tank of any constipation plus it is naturally nutritious

for 5 fish which you have, the fish should be fed as much as they are willing to eat within 2 minutes - spread the flakes or what have you over the tank so all the fish can eat

the key to feeding is not to overfeed; to do this depends on how many fish you have in the tank, less fish less food or time to feed; more fish just the opposite...so when you see the flakes floating about the tank for more than 2 minutes you know you overfed...just need about 5 pellets to do the job for 2 corys.

let us know how it goes

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Be careful Yasher. Do we know how big the pellets are? I feed my 7 cories ONE pellet per day. The pellets are about the size of a penny!

Fish might eat more than an eye full, but i think we also need to consider that they graze on algae and other microscopic organisms that are in the tank.

Overfeeding Cory's

3 posts