Showing off the new crab tank

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Ok. I finally finished this crab tank. Took me about 6 weeks. Lots of figuring out how to make the pump work correctly. Theirs a waterfall and a drip system built into the background so the crabs in the wall caves can keep their gills wet. Made the hand on the left.

Only thing that sucks is the glass will not stay clean because the waterfall splashes on it. Also i used such dark concreet paint that its hard to tell where the waterfall is. I used an internal filter with 3 types of filtration so i can add fish if i want. I lift off the water fall to access the filter.

I currently have 17 fiddler crabs in the tank(5 Female). I thought i would see some fighting but they haven't gone after each other yet. Their is 6 caves on the back wall which i think really helps divide up territory. Lots of flat ledges for the crabs to get out of the water on. Im hoping to see some egg laying. If anyone has experience with that let me know.

Ive never scene this done before like this. So far this seems to be an ideal set up for them. Next im making my buddy a tank. Going to improve on the design a little. After his crab tank im going to build a set up for a few salamanders. If anyone wants one built im willing to sell my services. Just message me and well talk.
67d93-0.JPG
6075c-1.JPG
a38b6-4.JPG
3fd24-3.JPG
4abb4-7.JPG

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Thank you Heidi. I don't think people hear are much into crabs. But hell its something different.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well mz, if I were a crab I'd be the first at the crab shop to say: pick me picke me! that set up is priceless...as I was reading your words, I was thinking, this person has a talent, he should go in business...lo and behold, next I read about your friend then I read if anyone wants one.....

that is one awesome set up...and I agree 100%, you should start your business building and selling crab habitats

(not that I would buy one anytime soon, but at what cost would you charge for something you showed us like the one above?)

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Well this one took me entirely too long. I really had to work out all the kinks. I bought 4 different internal filters and swapped their parts to create an internal filter that was small, 3 types of filtration, and powerful enough to pump the back wall drip system and the water fall.

the cost of the foam and cement is very minimum. The internal filter that i would put standard in the tank runs 35 bucks. You need a screen top for the tank cuz those crabs are great escape artist. That cost is 10 bucks. I would leave lighting up to the person who bought the tank. so....it would run about 50 bucks just for basic parts and i would charge 30 bucks for the work (i have to coat the foam 8 times and let it dry for 24 hours in between each coat. Thats a weeks worth of work). Thats not to bad for a completely original set up ready to add substrate and crabs (or newts).

My plan is once i do the next two tanks is to build 5 or 6 and give them to LFS so they can put them up on display. Ill leave my business card with the tanks so if anyone is interested they can contact me. If the store sells the tank than it might intise them to order more from me. Well see. ??? I live in Orange County so their is a huge aquatics community hear.

Im glad you responded yasher....i was trying to impress you. hahahahaha

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

lol

$80.00 is way too nice...for all the work, you should charge the LFS about $125.00 each (the LFS will mark it up to about $200.00-$225.00)...just a thought

hope you great success with your future projects, you truly have something rather unique (I never saw such a set up as this)...awesome work

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Very cool habitat. I agree that you are underbidding yourself. Maybe you could reserve the $80 killer deal for your pals on rate my fish tank :)

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Yea i would definitely give the discount to our little fish community. I got to school full time and teach a s a special ed teacher. But i would love to run a small business. I’m a big believer in getting the product out cheaply at first so i catch people interest and then raising prices once the tanks look ultra professional. Ill keep the site posted. The never tank should be done in two weeks.

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

that is SWEET! a crabs dream home.

tekneb

by tekneb

Your crab tank is epic. You wouldn't happen to be able to build like a 40 gallon version of that would you? I'm looking to move into a bigger place in a few months and the first thing I want to do is start a 40 gallon goldfish tank. Something like that would be exactly what I'm looking for.

synister1

by synister1

Your tank is very bad @$$ ! I love it.

I might be interested in a setup like this in the near future. Not sure what critters I am going to put into it yet and open to suggestions.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2