ick in my saltwater tank 45gal.

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jerimeb

by jerimeb

ive been battling ick for months in my fish tank, tryed it all!finlly cupramine by seachem seems to be working,puffers spots are gone mostley same with midis bleeny and cleaner wrasse. everyones eatting good now theirs some kind of dandrift dear ick?floating on the top of the water??? ive lost over 500$in fish in this damn tank, this batch is 2 months old... my reeftank runs perfect!5 yrs. and running strong. wanted to have a fish tank as well, and have hade a really bad luck!? about to ditch the fishtank n stick with the reef? help!!!!!!!please........everythings good on h2o quality....proteen skimmer, powerheads,good light,sand over crushed coral, 40lbs of liverock, 45 gal hex. what to do?????thanks

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

Add a UV sterilizer. The cost for a UV will outweigh the cost of replacing fish. In the meantime verify you are not having any major fluctuations of your temp and pH. Fluctuations of pH can stress your fish making them prone to ich. Have you ever tested the pH before the lights come on and then again late in the day/evening?

jerimeb

by jerimeb

the temp. is @ 76.8 to 77.7 thats all the fluctuation there, never tested ph before lights though. day time ph is 8 to 8.2 , whats the uv do? they sell a million things but it seems mostley there just to make money not what they claim, no what i mean? in my very sucsessful reef tank i use salt and thats it no addiditives and its full of growth and happy coarl n inverts. and most say u need this n that but there just wasted$. whats ur opion on the uv? how much do they run? thanks

jdak702

by jdak702

lol... uv is a joke. If you are still battling ich, have you tried hyposalinity? This is a great link that got me thru ich. My stars and stripes puffer has been cured for some time now. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fis ... facts.html

What kind of puffer was it that you have? A few pics and video of my tanks are at www.jdak.net

Aquaman, still waiting on some of these pictures of these great tanks you work with all day.

TatBoy14

by TatBoy14

are you running a canistar filter or a hang on the back filter? if you are did you take out the carbon? cuz if you left the carbon in and you medicated the medication wont do any good cuz the carbon will take out the medication.

jdak702

by jdak702

Remove all media. You can remove the filter too. Only need powerheads. Hyposalinity is not medication. It is lowering the salinity to 12ppt or 1.009 and you must remove all LR and inverts. Use a refractometer as hydrometers are not accurate at those levels of salt. You can get one on ebay for $25. I can guarantee this works if done properly. I hope you didn't use that copper in your display tank. Did you use quarantine? Did you use copper testing daily? Copper can't really be removed from your tank with just water changes or carbon and will kill any type of biological filtration in the future. Let me know if you want me to walk you thru these steps of hypo. We can save these fish.

jerimeb

by jerimeb

had a can filter with char, but ditched it month or so ago. thanks for the replys thats cool!only thing going is the protien skimmer n power heads. NO i didnt use copper in the display tank!that would be bad!the slinity in the tanks @.1.016, i have two zombie snails n three hermitcrabs . puffers a dogface! had a starsn strips ick got it! this tank is for fish only . let me know what u think. o and wife turned light on this am so no ph test in am 2day,but weve notised lights on puffy hides, lights off more apt to come n swim . eats real good. let me know . thanks again for the advice!

jdak702

by jdak702

Puffers can take a month to socialize. What I use in my fish only tank to buffer pH is baking soda. That is the main ingredient in most pH buffers. So I would take the salinity below 1.015 until you have a refractomerer available. It will reduce ich. See, the way it works it adult ich won't die with treatment. You are actually killing the offspring so they can't reproduce. You will see noticeable results in less than a week nut treatment should last 30 days after the last sight of ich. I use to run carbon but had a problem once where it wasn't rinsed as well as it should have been. Haven't had a problem without it.

jdak702

by jdak702

Also, I would get rid of the snails if you drop the salinity any lower. It will be death for them if not. Skimmer and powerheads is really all you need. The rest is a mess. What size tank you running?

jerimeb

by jerimeb

so, lights off ph is 8.2. lights on ph in 3 or so hours went up to8.4. why? so ive used bakingsoda for fresh h2o dips but other than that???tanks a 45 hex.in the reef refug.lights on @ night off @ day ph is 8.2 always. how do i do that with no refug. to reg. the ph. my bad no snails just 3 hermit crabs n 2 zombie snails. selenity is @ 1.016 right now. so should i take out 5 gal and put in just r/o h2o till the selenitys @ 1.015 ? or lower? really appresheate the advice and responce. thanks. if we can cure this ick issue my life would be lots better. got my wife into saltwater and this is her tank n mynes the reef, and shes about over it. so that would be so nice to enjoy the fishtank not stress ovre it and feel real bad for killing very nice n not cheap fish!

20 posts • Page 1 of 2