Good Macro Fert for planted tank ?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I need some advice on a good macro fertilizer. Im currently using Kent Pro-Plant as a Micro-Fert, now i need a good Macro-Fert.

Current Chem Use:

Seachem Flourish
Seachem Flourish Excel
Seachem Prime
Kent Pro Plant

dream2reef

by dream2reef

diy co2 cheaper and goin green

nicholas542

by nicholas542

what's a good setup for DIY CO2 ?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I buy potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate in powder form from: www.aqaruimfertilizer.com It's way cheaper than buying premixed from an aquarium store. And i would recommend macro fertz AND CO2, not one or the other. Nutrafin sells a DIY unite for about $30, or you can make your own using 2 liter pop bottles. You can buy the fitted caps from thinkgeek.com for $8: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/c908/

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Seachem also makes macro ferts.
What I would do is this.
Use your excel as you have been doing.... by the way, if you double your dose every day, or every other you can get rid of your algae, but that is up to you.
Go with Seachem Comprehensive, which is a micro fert. Use that instead of
the Kent Pro Plant.
As for the Macro Ferts..... Seachem also makes those.
You need NPK.
Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus.
The directions are right on the back and it is easy to use.
I use them with great success, and I also use Seachem Iron 1 x a week.
So use Seachem Comprehensive = micro
Seachem Nitrogen = macro
Seachem Phosphorus = macro
Seachem Potassium = macro, and throw in the Seachem Iron.
Keep using the excel and do not waste your time with DIY CO2.
The excel is just as good, less to worry about, more stable for your tank and will cost you less.
Stay with the Excel. Especially until you get your algae problem under control.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Might as well try it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

on this issue, again, I will need to wound the tape tighter around my orifice

cutting a small gaping hole, he forces out: why not just use fish poop as fertilizer

takes thread, zip

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Excel might be just as good as CO2, but i disagree that it is cheaper. I spend a few pennies a month on sugar and less than a dollar a month on yeast. Surely daily doses of Excel is more than that, isn't it?

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I agree.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, I am not sure if DIY CO2 is cheaper for you guys, but for me it is not.
I used to use DIY CO2 for my 85G and my 55G.
That would be 7 2L bottles for the 85G and 4 2L bottles for 55G.
That would be 22 cups of sugar, 11 teaspoons of yeast, and the baking soda 1 x per week.
Well, that is a lot of sugar and yeast, and a real pain in the butt to make... and I am not even going to
go into the bottles not working correctly because of leaks where the cap meets the tube, or the back flow of sugar into the tank if you do not take out the tubes and clean them once a week.
Also, for this method to work correctly you need to have the tubing of CO2 go onto your intake of your filter system, which will damage your filter after awhile.
No big deal if you are making 1 or 2 2L bottles, but for big tanks.... not so good.
If you have a 10G or 20G tank, that is the way to go....... but IMO, you need 1 2L bottle per 10G to have DIY work like pressurized.
So, it took me 20 minutes to pull the bottles out, clean them, make the stuff, clean the tubes and rehook it all back together. I bought a $6.00 bag of sugar 1 x a week, and a $5 jar of yeast every other week.
Baking soda was pennies. So, it cost me about $8 per week for 2 tanks.
Excel costs $8 a bottle, lasts me 2 weeks, it is a constant, no backflow in water, no making bottles every week
no ugly tubes in the water, no filter damage, and no 2L bottles hanging around the tank.
And, in the winter, if your house gets colder, the yeast will not work correctly. Just a PIA and a waste of time if you have something bigger than a 20G.
just my opinion. I'll take excel any day and pay the $$$. My time is valuable.

17 posts • Page 1 of 2