Good Macro Fert for planted tank ?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I'm dosing 15ml a day in my 38 gallon the algae seems to hate it so far. The plants seem to really love it, and the fish seem to have no effect. So I'm all for the minute it take me a day to dose my tank. I think I'll pay the extra money aswell for the amount of time saved.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I am really happy to see you working through the problems and fixing the parameters. You are going to see a big difference by upping the excel, and adding micro and macro.
Good to see someone taking some good advice from the board and actually doing something to make their tank better.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I hate my tank and never want it to look better.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

we'll yeah wy would you want a fish tank that looks like crap. I want people to be aw struck when they walk in the room. Someday in tme.

deelove25

by deelove25

Don't get too caught up in the chemical solution. You will have to to keep a very close watch on the levels of dissolved minerals in your tank. Try to focus on the fish, light and substrate. You'd be surprised how little fertilizer is actually needed. You can try the DIY CO2 but in the long run I found it a nuisance.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree 100% deelove, let the fish poop fertilize the tank

problem with chemicals is that if you place one chemical in you will probably need another chemical to off balance that chemical...and before you know it the tank water is rather toxic

I say, let nature take care of nature...for instance: too many snails, get loaches; too much wood, lowers the ph; rocks raises the ph; natural sunlight produces certain types of algae so either get fish, snails, and/or more live plants to offset the growth of the algae - if cladophora, this is a good type of algae, grow it and prune it (as I do); too much over feeding that makes the ammonia rise (or not enough good bacteria) replenish the tank with new water (25-40%); too many live bearer fry place a few dwarf african frogs in the tank; disease breaks out in the tank, raise the temperature to 86-89, lower the water by about 4 inches in order to create more water agitation or oxygen into the water column and place a few tablespoons of aquarium salt in the tank unless the fish are very sensitive to it; create ledges/caves with sandstone, slate and/or river rock; let the gravel accumulate good bacteria (or never vacuum) in order to create a bed of "dirt/mud" for the live plant roots to feed off.......................must I go on?

and not one chemical added with all the above; let nature handle nature

but then again, to each their own

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I was using the flourish excel to tackle a hair algae outbreak. It was introduced to my tank from my LFS's live plants i bought. The other chems are a trace elements replenisher, and the other is a micro fert. My levels of disolved materials are fine, aswell as the fish. The original problem came because i didn't rinse my plants i bought well enough.

Good Macro Fert for planted tank ?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2