One large aquarium plant.

30 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

The thing is its not your tank, you dont have to understand why it was uprooted. Obviously the OP thought that was what was required and was happy to do it, the sword is magnificent, i definately would not have pruned such a plant (only dead leaves) it would have ruined its look

I dont do CO2 in all my tanks, but even in the non CO2 there have been swords that have required to be moved. Not all plants understand the height limitations *LOL* I have pygmy chain swords that are 15-20cm high and still growing. They are currently a foreground plant and yep i will have to pull and move them.

What you would do with a tank, what i would or anyone else would will always be different. This is the best part of fishkeeping, we all have different ideas that work for us and may not necessarily work for others. Still its better to hear many versiona and be able to pick the one that does work for you, without having them forced down you throat.

Bigdog

by Bigdog

I only run my Co2 at 60 bubble per min and the light are on for about 10 hours a day. I do 50% water changes each week. For my 75 gallon aquarium the amount of Co2 going into it is very low and the lights should be on for approx 12hrs for good plant growth. My buddies planted tank is 125 gallons and he runs his at 170 bubble per min and he has his lights on for 14 hours a day and he can not even come close to my plant growth which to me is strange and he owns his own fish store. He been keeping planted aquariums for over 20 years now. He can not explane whay my plants grow so fast. I think it is because I read them bed time stores every night before they all go to bed and say Hi to them each day as tyhey wake up.LOL So thanks for all the comments.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Interestingly enough, my fish spawn only when I play Barry White?

Bigdog

by Bigdog

That is so cool.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

It is true with my 2 kribs.
As soon as I do a water change they spawn.
And, as soon as I do another water change a few days later, they eat their eggs.
Unfortunately, because of the stingray, I have 2 do frequent water changes in that tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

only possible reason for the fish spawning after a water change is the new atoms or carbons entering the tank probably stimulates the fish to act as they do, so stingray may have a point on the water change

alasse, you are 100% correct that we all have our different ways of maintaining our tanks...but I hope we can agree to a few basic standard aquarium requirements: water change, more filtration the better, and fish capatibility (don't want an aggressive fish in with a minnow...unless of course, it is feeding time (((smiles)))...outside of these 3 requirements, all else is up for grabs

still never got an answer on why keep a plant that grows to such height in the tank in the first place...for instance, if I knew a plant was going to grow over 2 feet tall and 2 feet wide, I would purchase a 180 gallon tank or more. 75 gallon does not cut it. Just like teh other thread, someone wanted to purchase 2 bala sharks for his 20 gallon tank, well one bala shark grows to about one and a half feet long...same concept

anyway enough of my sensibility...I'm going to sit back with a cognac and listen to some Barry White

Bigdog

by Bigdog

So far the aquarium is doing great with no problems to report. plants are doing much better and are growing very well. Just thought you all would like a update.

Thanks

Alasse

by Alasse

Thanx for the update Bigdog. I didnt expect there to be any problems though ;)

dream2reef

by dream2reef

You should sell them to ppl with huge tanks jus sayin.

EazyE

by EazyE

I don't see the issue. I use Hygrophila corymbosa in my planted 20. The plant grows to nearly 2 ft if allowed though regular pruning keeps them compact for awhile. After 2-3 months the largest adults are removed to make room for younger plants. All the root system is removed to prevent rotting material in the substrate. Swords are slow- growers, so I don't see much impact on the system especially with the presence of fast growers in such a large system. Unless the concern is for debris and gasses released, in which case there are probably compaction problems in the substrate causing anaerobic conditions that need to be addressed anyway rather than left alone to surprise you when it does become necessary to remove larger plants.
Bigdog- as I mentioned the Hygrophila corymbosa makes an excellent background plant as it remains a bit shorter than swords. The strain I have produces a crimson leave coloration with good lighting and CO2 injection, and will grow compact and full. May be a good option for your tank size. I always have several adult plants available at the end of the month when I do my major trimming. I'm always up for plant swaps. I also have Red Tiger Lotus which would make a nice centerpiece or specimen plant for your tank. I have a taker this month but feel free to hit me up.

One large aquarium plant.

30 posts • Page 3 of 3