One large aquarium plant.

30 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Now that's one large aquarium plant! I just setup a CO2 bubble counter with a powered reactor (powerhead w/prefilter sponge) over top the counter. What kind of setup do you use? Oh yea it's a 150 GPH I also have a 295 GPH double filter. I set the filter on the back and the powerhead opposite corner facing the filter to create a swirl effect. Not sure how this will work as I've not read about it at all.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

alaase, I have huge growths of cladaphora growing naturally in the tank that I prune ONLY on Sunday when I also do a water change and clean any filters (if they need it)....but to go into the tank a few days a week to uproot plants and/or rearrange the tank, I don't care if the angels multiply 100 times a month for you - which to me is simply a coincidence (whoever heard that when you clean the tank out or rearrange it the fish will spawn, if that was the case, I could initiate spawning anytime I wanted to - no offense, but that sounds just too unbelieveable - but if you believe it, so be it) - any time the human enters the tank, any tank to rearrange and/or clean, you disrupt their day. You may not see it this way, you may not even believe it...but if you think of it like a tornado or a hurricane and you cherish your own home you will know what a fish "feels" like when a human reaches into the tank and does whatever.

As for plants with fish or fish with plants, what's the difference, there are still fish - so if I understand you properly, fish can be second class citizens, so to speak, if it is a tank with "planted tank with fish"....no offfense again but - and don't get me wrong, I like very much live plants (I have many that I have watched slowly over years grow (anubias) - even though we like our live plants, the fish are a little higher up the food chain or in other words, fish "feel" pain and pleasure in a more human way than plants do (unless of course you believe plants are like humans, some do believe this - I do not).

so to make it as short as possible, for we should all know by now (((smiles))) I can go and on, no offense alasse (for you've good posts), to say "planted tank with fish" is just too unreal (((no offense)))

but back to the thread itself, the best way to go is like stingray suggested, less light and lower the C02 or get rid of it, and problem is solved....now if you have a tank that is say, 200 gallons or higher and half of the tank is all plant and the other half is all rock ledge and open space, then okay, pruning or uprooting the plant side a few days a week may be okay (why one would want to do this, got me, but under these circumstances, okay, reasonable enough) - but ONLY if the tank is huge and there is room to play with

anyway, you know my take on this...I just respect a fish's life maybe a little more than others...but if alasse believes her fish spawn everytime she goes into the tank, then if I was alasse, I would time it so so that I'd have LFS in about 6 months (((smiles...just being facetious)

Happy Fishing!

Alasse

by Alasse

Yes well i could go on and on too *LOL* But i'll choose to leave it

As you say you believe what you will.

Oh, It may sound unbelievable to you, but it is a fact, each time i have rescaped the tank the angels have spawned either that day or the day after. Personally i dont care if you believe it or not, it is the truth.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

to each their own

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Interestingly, the only time my fish have spawned is when they have been seriously disrupted. My gouramis spawned just after i dismantled and moved the entire tank to my parent's house. My cories spawned a few months later when i dismantled the tank and moved it back to my house. Three years with this tank and these fish and that's the only time anyone has spawned. Possibly just a coincidence, but in any case, i don't really think pruning the plants causes the fish any undue stress....a complete rescaping, maybe, but pruning?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Oh yeah, to the OP: that is one impressive plant!!!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well the guy who uprooted the large plant was not pruning, it was uprooting - huge difference

I prune plants/algae, that is, cut off dead yellow leaves (yellow leaves stress the rest of the plant because the healthy part of the plant is giving more of its starches and nutrients to the dying part, thereby robbing the good part of the plant of such important requirements); and I prune the algae by making sure the algae does not cling all over the plant leaves thereby blocking the plant leaves need to absorb nutrients from the water column (funny thing is, the algae, once it's be pruned back will actually maintain its proper place)

but this guy did not prune, instead uprooted the entire plant...pruning helps plants grow also helps the water column from getting rotted material into it...also if the yellow leaves become too many, the rest of the plant can actually die too

so pruning does not cause fish any due harm, correct; but uprooting does - I am sure you just mistook what happened natalie

Alasse

by Alasse

To prune such a gorgeous sword would be sacrilege. All it required was to be moved to a place (another place in the tank or a larger tank) where it could grow to all its glory. I would and have done the same, with no major catastrophes that many seem to think will happen.

I just cant see where rescaping the fish's territory would be any different to moving them to a new tank, they soon settle and take the new look into their stride. Fish are adapatable, if they weren't they'd be extinct!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

the kicker of this whole thread is, if one looks at his tank picture on his profile, there was really no reason to pull out this plant - he has a wonderful planted tank, why he pulled it out, you got me...too big for the tank? if this is the case, then it just goes to show that one should be very careful about which plants to place in a tank -

in other words, if this plant's growth is due to C02 or just being itself, either or, the plant does have a height limitation (it will reach a certain height) and should have been planted in a much larger tank to begin with

anyway, either way one looks at it, to uproot this plant, in my book, was foolish - but hey, we all must find our way about in this hobby - reason I try not to offend anyone with my coarse judgements - but it's cool, we must all live & learn

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

and one other thing, the plant could have been pruned...the leaves reaching the fartherest upward could have been individually cut, if this was the problem - like I said, outside of a height problem, I do not get it why it was uprooted in the first place

BigDog, can you explain the reason you uprooted the plant...was it because of the height?

One large aquarium plant.

30 posts • Page 2 of 3