Re-Scape with new plants

30 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nicholas542

Re-Scape with new plants

by nicholas542

got bored on my day off, and did a re-scape. I also cleaned, and added a couple new plants. The first pic is Before the following 2 are after the rescape. What do you think ?
d6e44-main pic.JPG
6f4b4-rescape 1.jpg
55172-rescape 2.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

Love the new look! Well done

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

thumbs up!

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Alasse, what exactly do you like about it?
Seriously, in my honest opinion, it does not look much different than before.
When I look at your tank my eyes zoom right to the back where you have those filters hanging. They are an eyesore.
I would also move those 2 wires that you zoom right to that are hanging down the big giant empty spot along the back wall.
I would definitely put some tall plants along the back of the tank, blocking out those filters at least. The tall plants would also give it a more 3D look, because right now I find it to be a bit flat looking.
Maybe I would add a bigger piece of driftwood in the middle of the tank, taller than the two pieces on the right and left hand side.
There seems to be all this ROOM in the top of the tank, along with the middle part of the tank. Fill it up! Seriously, your eyes zoom all around the empty tank until you zoom down the bottom, which is the last thing you see.

On another note. I hate people that give cookie cutter responses to "how does my tank look"..... I gave you my honest opinion. I could have just said LOOKS GREAT!, cause really who gives a crap ass how your tank looks and I guess I would rather have you "like" me, than to say some crap about your tank and have you NOT like me.
But, since you asked.... not sure if you REALLY want opinions, as IMO, I always find that people who post a rescape pic are perfectly happy with their tanks, and really just want a pat on the back....... but since you asked......
I took the time not to give you a cookie cutter response, and gave you my honest opinion.
Not bad, by far, love the driftwood pieces and the plants that you have are well placed. Just a few touches, and it will be mint.
Take a look at allases's profile pic. Do you see how her tank has a 3D effect? The back wall is covered.
She has no wires or filters in eye view. She has color that breaks up the tank with pots, and different pieces of wood.
She has tall plants on the back wall. Shorter plants in the front. No gaping holes. Your eyes do not wander to any empty spots or any hardware. THATS what you want to go for.

Alasse

by Alasse

Excuse me stingraysrule....my post was by no means a cookie cutter response and if you hate it or me well tooo darn bad! What you see and what others see will be different in most cases

I dont always have time to do a detailed response

I do love the new look, and i WAS being honest. A far prefer the placement of the decor and the plants, and to be honest i took NO notice of the tanks hardware that is showing, it is part and parcel of most tanks and i tend to NOT notice it. I prefer to look at effort put into aquascaping instead, and to encourage such effort.

Beleive me if i didnt like it i would have said so....but you giving me a please explain is just rude

nicholas542

by nicholas542

stingray had some good info to give. I do need a center piece. A background i could care less about. the responce to the others was a little harsh to say the least. If you read my profile info i'm not into rushing into things when i add them to my tank. I haven't found anymore log that is pleasing to me yet so i have not added the final piece. A background on the other hand i don't really care about anyway they all kind of give a fake look to the tank with the pictures plants. Like Alasse said the hardware I kind of ignore it's a fact of life when you have a tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well guess you guys can beat me up too - because I agree with stingray, those wires and filters move the eye away from the beauty in the tank - now the second pic is better than the first one, true...but if you can get the wires to run along the top of the tank (either tape it or use small clip ons), you will have a most pleasiing tank

of course the fish don't pay too much attention tot he wires...which brings me again to stingray's point, place some tall plants in the back of the tank, and you're tank will be not only enjoyed by the fish, but it will be most pleasing to the eye of the human

hope that comment helps

nicholas542

by nicholas542

i moved the wires and it does look better i might just get a blue background to hide the hardware

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

nicholas, what you could do is place the filters into a corner, one in the back and the other on the side of the tank (most believe things should just be only in the back of the tank, never thinking the sides can be used too)...if you place both filters in one corner of the tank, leaving the mid and farther side without any objects, the "eyesore" so to speak will be cured...jst a thought

on the tank I have, I have a 350 marineland penguin filter and a 200...the 200 is on the side and the 350 is in the corner alongside the 200, thereby leaving the entire middle and right side of the tank free of any gadgetry

do what you think is best...glad you moved the wiring...if you decide to place the filter sin the corner, just run the wiring down the corner outside edge of the tank, either with clear tape or small clip on, and wha-la, no wiring seen and one side of the tank entirely without any gadgetry (except in your case, there will be the lighting)...but if you do go with the blue background my advice is is, get one that has all types of greenery or flowering print on it, the fish will find comfort in this (fish can see about 18 inches beyond the glass of the tank, so by seeing flowery or greenery in the back of the tank, it will appear to the fish more like a tropical paradise to them or in other words, more natural to the fish

let us know how you decide, like to see how this tank progresses over time

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

+1 for yasherkoach. Well said.
Yasherkoach has a gift and that would be to write things more deliverable to the poster, which means he attempts not to start any friction and puts thought into his words so they might be received better to you. Unfortunately, I suck at that, so please do not be offended by my words.
I like your tank, and I think you are very talented in your hobby.
I want your TRUE talent to shine, and by doing some tweaking, it will.
Nice start.
I will say, with a planted tank, it is best not to start slow and add all of your plants and driftwood at the same time. That way your water parameters will settle, and you will indeed build a true ecosystem without going out of wack everytime you add or change things around.
And seriously, if I did not think you had a true ability to have a great tank, I, along with yasher, I believe would not waste our time going into some detail on how to attempt it.
And another thing to remember about having a planted tank, and your algae problem.
ALGAE AND PLANTED TANK go hand in hand. EVERYONE battles algae from time to time. It is just part of the ecosystem in a planted tank.

Re-Scape with new plants

30 posts • Page 1 of 3