Re-Scape with new plants

30 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Nich,

You could do a black background. It's really cheap (by a black cardboard peice of paper of even paint it black) Also, look at possibly going to sand (pool filter sand is a great cheap option) but I also think black sand would look excellent in your tank. Just my 2 cents

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I go with esparzar's idea. I always go with the black bkgnd it usually kinda camouflage the intake. Idk I agree with alasse about encouragement and stingray about wanting a pat on the back. Then things went on and on and really NOW this thread is about what? Idk? but I also know how it is to not have found just the right piece, especially when you won't pay the 700% markup on "treated" wood which I think breaks down at about the same rate, idk I'ma dummy though. petcos blk bgnds are 2 bucks a foot or blue ooooo. So Nicholas great job! You deserve a pat on the back. I like to watch ppls progression on here more then anything. That's why I post mine. And thank god for getting bored that's when all the better rescapes come from.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first, thanks much for your thoughts stingray...and your writing or explanations are just as good, so it's all cool

black backgrounds or even gravel is nice especially when it brings out a fish's coloring...but if a fish could talk, it would say, more nature more nature, we want a more natural environment we want an ecosystem that my fellow wild partners have (((smiles)))

again, like stingray said, as hobbyists, we should attempt to bring our tanks as close as possible to the natural habitats or ecosystems. MOst people say, especially those darn experts, oh no it's algae - run!...I say, stop, relax, identify the type of algae and go from there. The key to algae is controling it.

Algae is a fine near-plant. I am growing natural cladophora from natural sunlight and water (plus the nutrients from leftover foodstuffs and fish poop). Every Sunday I prune the algae so the live plants do not get tangled up in it. And I have found, to my amazement and I am sure others, that the more the algae is pruned/controlled/tamed, the algae will actually remain growing in the pattern it is pruned back into. In other words, the algae will literally not grow all over the plant leaves because for the last several months I have pruned it back from the plant leaves (plants absorb nutrients not only from their roots but through their leaves too or the "breathe" through their leaves). Algae can be tamed.

So if anyone has algae, never ever think it is a problem. First identify the type of algae, then go from there. Algae is an awesome natural product in the fish tank. Actually, all the stuff in the fish tank that grows by itself - as long as it is controlled - is fine.

For instance - and I promise I will end it on this (((smiles))) - I hear people say in this forum and all over the net, oh no there are white little eggs all over the tank - and I say, so? They are probably snail eggs. Snails are cool...as long as they are managed/controlled. But how do you do that? You get a few dwarf chain loaches, and wha-la, snail overpopulation is solved.

One must learn how to counteract things in our tanks with natural or other living species.

Anyway, think in terms of what the fish in your tank needs, then think of what you would like...because it is afterall, a partnership. Enjoy!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I just hate algae on my glass :(

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

algae on the glass, I can understand...reason for certain fish or snails that will eat the algae off the glass

but clumps of algae growing all over rocks and wood or deep in gravel is really rather cool

if you buy a few dwarf chain loaches and a bunch of olive nerite snails, apple snails and trumpet snails, you can solve the algae problem on glass

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Or you can just scrub it off.
If you are doing weekly water changes like you are suppose to do, it should be part of your routine to also
clean the inside 4 walls of your glass. If you do that, and maintain it, I cannot see gsa becoming any kind of problem whatsoever.
How about I hate bba algae and staghorn algae.
I finally had to break down and start using excel.
I was afraid to use it because of my stingray, they are very difficult fish and do not tolerate changes very well.
So far so good.
Now lets just hope Hurricane Earl does not knock my power out for too long.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea I just scrub it off. It brings me closer to my fish. And snails leave the snail lines it's kinda creative sometimes but idk.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you can clean the inside glass panes during your daily routine - I used to do this, but I found I disturb the fish, so I no longer do this and leave it up to nature to do it for me

as for snail lines, if there are enough snails, the lines will not be so noticeable - for instance, at night, I have about 100 snails go about, all over the glass cleaning also it gives the loaches some snack food - then at day/light, the snails go burrow into the gravel, overturning the gravel (reason I never vacuum the gravel), and the snails feed also during the day, buried under the gravel, on the debris - again, let nature take care of nature

but if you are dead set against snails, do like stingray advised: on your weekly (should be, bi-weekly) water change, do some cleaning of the inside glass, and wha-la (as well) clean glass

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Or I can just eat some pizza.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

only if it is served with pepperoni (((smiles)))

Re-Scape with new plants

30 posts • Page 2 of 3