getting rid of algae without chemicals ?

25 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I was looking for good ways to get rid of re-appearing algea in my tank. I have already get a algae clean up crew of 5 octo cats, and a clown pleco. I use filtered water, and have cut back on my light. I do regular water changes, not just top offs. What else is there to do ? Any suggestions would be great
d2bd9-main pic.JPG
e9f8b-side shot.jpg

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

How many hours a day are your lights on? How old are your lights? From the second picture it appears your tank may be near a window. Does it get any light shining towards it from the window? It does not need to shine directly on the tank to affect algae growth. Even though you use filtered water, test the filtered water for phosphates. Test the tank water for phosphates and also nitrites/nitrates. Are you feeding the tank or are you feeding the fish? What kind of food do you feed? You may be feeding too much...this is a very common mistake even advanced aquarists make. Feed the fish not the tank.

You could add some snails and, if your budget allows, add a UV sterilizer. Also add more plants. By adding plants they will feed on the nutrients that are feeding the algae which will naturally decrease algae growth.

I just saw that you are using Flora Sun bulbs. Personally I am not a big fan of these bulbs as they are heavy in the red spectrum. You might consider changing them out for something that is more middle spectrum, especially if your tank is getting indirect sunlight from the window. Coralife Nutri Grow may be a good alternative. Give them a shot, you have nothing to lose.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

i feed the fish for sure not the tank. i use Omega One flakes, and Hikari waffers for the bottom feeders. usually 2 waffers a day. The tank is close to a window that's why i just recently got rid of my dual T5 setup. it seemed like too much light. I'm almost considering just using natural light from the window and less artifical. I use seachem prime with water changes to reduce phos, and nitrates. I plan on getting more plants soon any suggestions?

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

hi there after making the dreaded house move i setup my tank near a big bay window not directly but in alcove close to it an my tank was green within a day i did 50% water change looked good next day yep green again had to move my whole front room round to solve the problem not the light that shines through my house presicely misses my tank by about 15cm.

As Aquaman said maybe change your lighting and feeding times ie feed at night and only use the lighting when its dark in the tank refracted light should be enough to illuminate your tank throughout the day hope this helps

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I'll try using artifical light in the early am during sunrise, and during dusk. using refracting light from my window during the mid-day should be enough for the plants. this will be a experiment

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I use all natural sunlight as the only light (regulated by mini blinds). and in turn I naturally grow clumps of cladophora (algae), and as long as it is pruned once a week, this algae is a great addition to the tank

so this is what you need to do - you need to find first and foremost, what type of algae it is. Once you do that, I can explain (as well as others) what best to do with the algae

nicholas542

by nicholas542

it's kind of a string type algae. I think it is a form of hair algae

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I just got a Riccia plant that is supposed to spread like crazy along the bottom. The pet store said it would eat up phos like crazy when it spreads. that should slow the algae down

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

Don't trust your LFS!!! And never ever buy any living thing from a "petstore", Petsmart or Petco!!! Ok got that out of my system LOL

Riccia Fluitans, also known as Crystalwort is a floating plant. You will need to make sure it is tied and weighted down very well. It will probably need some sort of daily maintenance...cutting back, removing loose floating clumps or re-tyeing. If you see bubbles on the tips, don't worry...its a good thing. Crystalwort does not fair well when a tank has hair algae...it can quickly be overcome by the hair algae and get choked out. It does particularly well with HO or VHO lighting and Co2.

Let me go back to the subject of phosphates. Regardless of what you may be using to control phosphates, unless you are actually testing for it you cannot possibly know what levels your tank may be at. Test your water source, filtered or not, and test your tank. Not doing this very simple and very inexpensive step and you are just guessing. In all my years I have yet to meet anyone that can just look at a tank and guess what the water parameters are with any certainty. Not doing this you will find yourself pulling out your own hair, not just the hair algae.

Almost forgot to add...
you mentioned that you are using Seachem Prime to "reduce phosphates and nitrates". Prime does not reduce either. It is simply a water conditioner that helps to detoxify ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Regardless of what Seachem claims, the only way to effectively reduce nitrates is through water changes.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

or more plants....I've read that you can cause riccia to sink if you mess with your lighting and it can turn darker. Most would argue that it's a different species but same one different environments causing different effects. Crazy cool stuff but after reading and reading I'm not sure I want to even try it at all. Where then, Aquaman, do you suggest to purchase a "pet" or living thing? Cuz I hate the petstores and dont trust the internet sites to ship living anything to my house, regardless of any "arrive alive" guarantees. Furthermore, I've been thinking about that concept very fervently, and decided why not cut out the middle man "LFS" and go to the source? Any suggestions would be appreciated only cuz I hate the LFS! But until I figure out how to get to the source I have no choice but to suffice the kid in me I must go there anyhow....

25 posts • Page 1 of 3