getting rid of algae without chemicals ?

25 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

cool..yes get the plants you like plus any plants that are compatible with the fish you have (for some fish will dig up certain plant roots or even eat plant leaves) plus some plants do best in more light some in less light - only anubias, a very slow plant but worth the time (I have a slew of these guys) can tolerate extremes in shade or light

but absolutely, go with teh ones you like - even though the fish should enjoy their wonderland you too must enjoy the tank, in other words, it's a lifetime partnership, you and the fish...always have fun in this hobby (certain things must be performed on a routine basis, water changes, water testing, etc), but most of all, enjoy the hobby...fish are so cool...too bad the tank I own is not huge for I'd take a dip (((smiles)))

tell us how it goes....this does it for me this morning...I will be back soon to comment, advise and/or enjoy this fine forum

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Did you state you are using activated carbon in your planted tank?
Why would you be doing something like that?
The carbon is robbing your plants of any nutrients.
Excel happens to be a chemical, btw. And, if you search excel online, you will find
many articles that will tell you how to get rid of algae spot treating and "overdosing".
Yaserkoach, thanks for the back up.
Sometimes I second guess my own thoughts. :)

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah i've been reading on carbon. not good in planted tanks thanks for the info. strips the nutrients that you add to the tank out not good. from what i've read it get some heavy metals out, and is good for removing medication. what is a good media to use in my planted tank. I am running a fiber water polishing filter in the one.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

again - as usual as it appears over time (((smiles))) - I agree with stingray...carbon is not what it is cracked up to be. Experts will tell you, that if you use carbon in your filters, to change it every 4 weeks. Well I have carbon in the filter pads of the marineland penguin 350, and I have not replaced any of the pads (all three) in the last 8 months, and all the chemical readings are normal (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25-30).

Now as we know, carbon will rid the tank water of any metals, pollutants even medications (if one uses it in the tank - though I absolutely frown upon this let alone any chemicals); but again, like stingray stated, why use carbon if you have live plants.

the tank I have has live plants, but because the carbon/charcoal is over 8 months old, the carbon is not robbing the plants of any much needed nutrients.

another expert line is that carbon makes water crystal clear, which may be true to a degree...but after 8 months, the water is crystal clear anyway.

so the best way to go about this or to answer your question: you can just leave the carbon/charcoal in the filter, wait for over 4 weeks, and the charcoal/carbon will no longer have its power, so to speak, and leave it at that...or you can take out the carbon and replace it with ceramic rings which will help collect much needed good bacteria all over the mass area of the rings (it is just a way to replace one media with another - it does not act like charcoal).

so I think the best way to go about this in your case - beings you have charcoal in the filter(s) already - leave the charcoal in place, but never replace the charcoal - after 4 weeks, the charcoal will no longer be effective, and wha-la, problem solved.

or one better, maybe you can get a Marineland Penguin 350 filter (never hurts to have too much filtration); use the charcoal that comes with it, after 4 weeks, the charcoal will be no longer effective, and the bio-wheels will keep all the good bacteria (note: never ever rinse the bio-wheels even if they get super dirty - actually, the dirtier the better)

anyway, enough of the novella (((smiles))), let me know if we helped you...if not, bring on the questions, we'll be happy to help

nicholas542

by nicholas542

i am getting rid of the carbon media, and going to a bio-filtration method. I got a product called bio-stars, and some ceramic cylinders coming from Dr. Foster & Smith. I have done some research online and carbon is not great for a planted tank. A little i have found is ok because it adds C02 to the tank.

getting rid of algae without chemicals ?

25 posts • Page 3 of 3