PLEASE HELP !

30 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

amygentry08

PLEASE HELP !

by amygentry08

please help me identify some things on our live rock! and let me know if they are good or bad?

1. green looking plants growing from live rock?
2. small dark green ball. only one in tank so far. sits on live rock. not sure if it is attached or not.
3. red weed looking thing. hides when i touch it.
4. white stuff on several live rocks. its on top as well as bottom of rocks.
5. white weed looking thing. similar to 3 and hides when i touch it also.

thanks (:
57a62-046.JPG
56f33-049.JPG
ebe61-052.JPG
09f0c-057.JPG
1f541-061.JPG

jdak702

by jdak702

Ok, the first two are bubble algae. Not bad but a nuisance. The type of algae in #1 is brighter than i have seen tho. Pull some out and squeeze it. If it pops with water, it's bubble algae. All you can really do is pull it by hand. You should probably get rid of it before it spreads. Toothbrushes work well too. #3 is an aiptasia. It is bad and you should kill it with kalk or some kind of remover like aiptasiax or joes juice. #4 looks like bleached coraline algae. It was probably under the sand for a while. #5 looks like a feather duster. They are good. They are a filter feeding invert.

www.jdak.net

joyce123

by joyce123

i would have to agree with jdak.... as for the aptasia if you want you can a get a fish to take care of it.... a file fish,,, i had an aptasia breakout and that little fish tore up all the aptasia within a few days......

amygentry08

by amygentry08

I pulled number 1 out & it didn't pop. But my hermits or fish are eating it so I guess prob solved there.

I killed the apatasia with a needle syring & .5 ml of lemon juice! (:

and on #4, i think that is dead stuff from where i need to cycle the rock. does this sound right? i just don't know how to remove it!

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

jeeze think ill stick to fresh water seems like salt water all kinda nasty things ;-(

amygentry08

by amygentry08

I don't like freshwater, not as pretty. This stuff is all easy to get rid of, you just have to figure out what it is first.

jdak702

by jdak702

I wouldn't worry too much about #4. Once it is seeded with coraline, it should look better. What i like about saltwater is you are creating an ecosystem within your tank. These nasty things are life and are very beneficial. Not saying an ecosystem can't be created in freshwater but it seems most freshwater tanks don't even represent the region of the fish. Just a bag of gravel, plastic plants, and fish.

www.jdak.net

jdak702

by jdak702

amy, how long has your tank been running? Got any full tank shots?

nicholas542

by nicholas542

look at planted tanks. if you plant them with local plants from the region the fish are from you can mimic their environment quite well.

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

I'm having a little trouble seeing and getting a clear view of the algae in #1. It looks like a macro algae. Possibly a fluorescent colored variance of Caulerpa paspaloids var. compressa. You said your fish and hermits are eating it so it is definitely a food source, pretty color and as long as it is not taking over I wouldn't worry about it.
#2, as mentioned before, is bubble algae. Be careful removing it. If it bursts inside the tank it can spread seeds and cause an infestation.
#3 is aptasia. Pesky nuisance. Looks like you took care of it already. I'd suggest 2 other ways to remove aptasia. Hot kalk water or, better yet, true peppermint shrimp Lysmata wurdemanni. Make sure it is L. wurdemanni. Also sometimes red legged hermits will eat aptasia.
#4 is bleached or dead calcareous algae. Don't worry. Give it light and it may eventually turn color again.
#5 is a tube worm. You can expect more to sprout up all over. Very cool as it is showing the rock coming to life.

PLEASE HELP !

30 posts • Page 1 of 3