Need help on making a rock wall background

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

I'm making a rock wall background with Styrofoam and quick dry cement. Im worried the quick dry will dissolve in the water. I'm painting several coats and letting them dry a day in between. Is their a product out their that can coat the background but not leave any traces in the water?
ee8de-IMG_4077.JPG
f5520-IMG_4097.JPG
c954c-IMG_4099.JPG

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

have no idea tbh but i wanna make one what sorta money do the materials cost would make my cichlid tank really stand out

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

Hi again i searched you tube this is the best place for information the best one i have found is this hope you enloy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrSdYK5El_8

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

a product called "Parks super glaze" is awesome. the only place I know to buy it is at Home Depot, i tried Lowes and they just looked at me confused. i hit mine with a textured paint and then 2 layers of PSG. looks great.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

The foam is cheep. 10 Bucks for an 8x6 sheet. Quick dry cement is 15 bucks but depending on the tank size, it goes a long way. It just takes tons of time and a little bit of artistic ability. Ive been making my own peaces for my tanks and are getting better. Ill post them from time to time.

CHRIS: Thanks for the response man. Ill check that out. dose it give a glassy look? I'm trying to stay away from glossy. Your Cichlids are amazing man. Nice rock wall.

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

it will definitely look shiny when not in the water. make sure the stuff doesn't puddle and it will look really sharp in the tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

my only reservation on quick dry cement is what is it made up of...some cements are made with limestone which is calcareous, and is known for its ability to both harden the water and increase the pH

so the best thing to do is find out what type of blend it is, then I can give you a much better idea if it is freshwater safe

Alasse

by Alasse

Providing you coat the cement it wont play with water parameters. Or soak for sufficent time..

The background i am doing will be topped with a concrete, Hydrocrete & cement colour mix. I do need to let it cure for as long as possible, then fill the tank and let the water sit for a while.

There is also a clear pond sealer i am going to give a try if i cant find the Hydrocrete.

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

yeah alasse i think the clear pond sealer is called dry lock im going to investigate further

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

I just picked up the parks supper glaze from homedepot. Well give it a try. If anyone should say other wirse let me know. Ill probably put my first application on tomorrow night.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2