jdak

44 posts • Page 1 of 5

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

stingraysrule

jdak

by stingraysrule

I would like to know what you think about using the fluval edge 6g for a small saltwater tank. Just some live rock and 1 fish.
What do you think?
Thanks.

jdak702

by jdak702

I believe that would be a pico tank. The concern with a pico tank is evaporation. A small bit will have a large swing in salinity. I'm sure you check up often on your tanks tho. It would have to be daily. The other part is you most likely won't be able to keep the fish you want. Maybe like a clown goby or something really small. That all said, my opinion is bigger is better:) I usually wouldn't recommend starting a marine tank under 30g. They are actually more work. But might be cheaper...

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, the fluval 6G is all enclosed, even the top.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... &subref=AA
If I were to do it, can I put a clown fish in there?
Someone told me that if you get a small one and put them in a small tank, they do not get big.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I want to use the fluval 6G.

jdak702

by jdak702

That is an awesome tank. Never seen one before. My Q is if it is so sealed, would that affect the oxygen? SW is harder to oxygenate. SW tanks are often recommended to run without a hood cover and when using one, to leave some space between the water and it. Also, most clownfish need 30g. Mine use all 46g. I would stick to the nano fish with 10g requirements. That is why i think you should go bigger if you are going to do it.
http://www.LiveAquaria.com/product/aqua ... page_num=1

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Hmmm..... ok. Thanks for the web site, and the information.
I think I am going to give it a try tho. I am sure I am just asking for trouble,
The top of the hood has air vents, and I'll put in a nano circulating pump for the oxygen... that should help I guess? I can always take the top hood off if I run into trouble.
I have seen some of these set ups on YouTube, with the clown fish.
I see there are plenty of other fish that I can choose from so I am ok with no clown fish.
I am going to use live rock and live sand. I'll let it cycle a full month and then have my water tested.
I am more worried about the temp in the tank because the top is enclosed. I think even with ac on and the lights on the tank could hit over 82, so I am going to wait till September. I use the tank as a planted tank as of now.
I can do a fishless cycle with just the live rock? Can the live rock be used to cycle the tank?
If not, I am going to have to throw a piece of cooked shrimp in there.
Do I do any water changes if there are no fish in the tank because of the rock?
Well, let me know.
Here is a few 6G Fluval Set ups.
http://www.nanoreefblog.com/showcase/fl ... -nanoreefs
Thanks.

jdak702

by jdak702

You could definitely cycle the tank with LR. Using an uncooked shrimp might get it going faster tho. Sense the tank is so small, you could probably get away with just using rubble rock which all LFS around here sell for $1.99/lb.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, I bought the live rock already........ I am not sure if my LFS store sells the rubble...
I set up the rock and I used live sand. I was told to put 10lbs of live rock in........ was that too much?
So, now do I do any water changes? I usually cycle with a fish so I am not sure as what to do.
I am not going to throw any shrimp in.
I have to pick up a saltwater PH test test kit, but on my FW test kit it says 7.8. It might not be accurate tho because it will only read up to 7.8.
So, water changes, or do I just wait a month and have my water tested?
Thanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Walmart has the testkits cheapest online! I think there are a couple test that arent included just check the reviews they are half the normal cost jus sayin.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

The tank has been up for 11 days. I had my water tested 4 days ago and the guy told me that it is cycled. I think he is full of shit. I did not do my own test but I find this hard to believe. A friend of mine told me not to add a fish for at least a month, so I am not going to.

jdak

44 posts • Page 1 of 5