Nitrate (NO-2) is 10+

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Jonnyguy

Nitrate (NO-2) is 10+

by Jonnyguy

So I have had my fish tank set up for exactly a month now. I just did my first 25% water change/cleaned the substrate. Treated the water with Aquasafe when I put the new 25% back in the tank. Now I tested it with the 5 in 1 test strips and it says the Nitrate (NO-2) is in the danger zone. Honestly, I read what it says to do on the bottle and it says add aquarium salt or nitrite ion. Also I need ACE ammonia remover? I guess the question I'm trying to ask is. What went wrong? My tank seems to be fine. All my fish are healthy as an ox. Has my tank had this high of Nitrate (NO-2) since I set up the tank? Is (NO-2) something I should really concern myself with?

carbondog

by carbondog

Just to clarify things, do you actually mean nitrate? Because nitrate is NO−3, while nitrite is NO−2.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

IMO you should be doing weekly water changes, not monthly.

AlgisIE

by AlgisIE

Hi,

First, I would recommend to get rid of these 5 in 1 test strip. They are crap! Never got right readings out them. Get proper test for NO2 and NH3/NH4 at least.
Second, even if test reading OK, you must be looking at NO3 results. 10ppm of Nitrates is perfect level. If you would have 10ppm of NO2 - your fish would be dead long time ago.
Third, as it was mentioned already, you should be doing partial (25-50%) water changes at least weekly. Check your "clean" water for nitrites and nitrates as well. depends on your water supply, but it might have fair bit of chemicals as well.
Last edited by AlgisIE on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonnyguy

by Jonnyguy

Alright my NITRATE(NO+3) is 20 it says safe
NITRITE(NO-2) says 10 DANGER
Total Hardness 75 soft
Alkalinity 120 Ideal
PH 7.2 Neutral

Now I keep hearing weekly water changes. Does that also mean I should change the filter weekly as well?

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

NO. Do not do that.
Do your weekly water changes and do not clean the filter unless the water outtake is not flowing as it should. Depending on what kind of filter you have, will depend on when to rinse them off.
There is a thread about cleaning filters. It is here. That should help.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Jonnyguy

by Jonnyguy

OK, now with all the rocks in my tank it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to take them all out every week to clean the substrate. What do you suggest about that.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

You DO NOT have to remove everything in your tank to do a water change.
Use a siphon and siphon around the rocks as best you can.
Try to lift anything up that is easily accessible. I have a dead spot in my tank and all the fish poop seem to gather right in that area. You will see the fish poo as it looks like pencil lead, if your gravel is light colored.
DO NOT just take water from a cup and dump from the top. You need to clean some of the bottom also. Wipe down the sides of the glass with a soft towel, add your water, and you are set.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Do you have a planted tank?
That is something to think about as the plants benefit from the fish poo.
A few plants in your tank will help stabalize the water parameters.
Just a few easy plants.... Anubias are cool, they grow slow but they grow in any light.
If you have a light load of fish in your tank you do not need to do weekly water changes once your tank stabalizes. That does take about 6 months.
The higher the load, the more work in water changes.
What size is your tank, and what kind of fish do you have?

Nitrate (NO-2) is 10+

14 posts • Page 1 of 2