my new tank

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

the method i descibed i have used since i was little and that was how i was taught. when i cycled my reef tank i did the same thing i bought some damsels(saltwater tester fish) lost one out of the three and everything worked out in the end.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion and give ideas but that doesnt mean they are right or wrong. some ideas work for ppl and others dont. so you stick to your method and ill stick to mine, and well, if it goes around, it goes around. so no need to bite my head off for giving my method and opinion. im not holding a knife to his neck

tekneb

by tekneb

Breaknrun, you are mistaken. Very few, if any beneficial bacteria actually live in the water. Most of the bacteria live in the filter and gravel, where most of the fish poop (which as yasherkoach said, is there food) is located. Water changes take out the ammonia that has dissolved into the water before enough bacteria have grown to eat it.

tekneb

by tekneb

Btw your reef tank is epic.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

thanks for the compliment tekneb. ive done my research as far as cycling a tank it seems that my method is not the best way of doing it. so i will admit that mine shouldnt be advised. my method is still being used on some sites so my apologies. http://www.aquariumslife.com/freshwater ... ium-cycle/

jdak702

by jdak702

I wouldn't recommend water changes during a cycle but if their is livestock, that is the humane option. Honestly, i do this for the love of the animals. My experience with people at least in reefing is that all their prized livestock aren't anything but trophies on the rack.

www.jdak.net

tekneb

by tekneb

Jdak while you have an interesting point, I think we should save it for another discussion, cuz we're starting to get off topic (as is what frequently happens on forums, lol). Brodzilla, I think everyone here agrees that your cycle is acting fairly normally, and if you are worried about your fishes safety, it is nothing that a simple water change wont fix.

jdak702

by jdak702

Don't censor me. I have only made a few comments here and all is reputable info. I will say what i feel like. I will not "rethink my position". I will give straight, to the point advice. My statement on this thread is that the tank is not cycled and is in need of water change and people want to disagree with that?
Last edited by jdak702 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I admit I have not ever done a fishless cycle. There are many people who do a fishless cycle because they feel it is inhumane to use fish. I do the work and the water changes and try to spare any fish the stress of cycling a new tank.
I have never ever put a fish in one of my tanks, for any reason thinking it was disposable in any way.
All my fish are part of my family. ;)

mrcollins35

by mrcollins35

This seems to be a bit of a contentious issue! In my experience fishless cycles tend to be more unstable than cycling with fish, atleast initially. My prefered method is to cycle with fish but add them very slowly. A few fish at a time every couple of weeks. I know its tempting to get all your fish in quickly but good things come to those who wait! The way i see it slowly stocking a tank prolongs the fun!
This way I find you tend not to get spikes in amonia and nitrite and if you do they tend not to last long.
As far as waterchanges go i tend not to recomend them whilst cycling UNLESS there is a problem (ie high ammonia and nitrite). To know if there is a problem you have to test the water! Test kits are cheap compared to dead fish, so do it daily for the 1st week or so, and ease off when your happy things are stabilising. If you get it really wrong and stock too fast you will have to do daily water changes of upto 50%, but base it on your test results. Remember water changes do stress fish, so only do it if you have to! Im sure every one does it, but no one has said it yet so i will! Make sure you condition the water when you do the changes, chlorine and chorlamine are added to tab water to kill bacteria, they will do a good job on your filter bacteria too! Allways worth running a test on your tap water as it will have nitrates, and possibly amonia and nitrites. If you have a high background level you water changes will have to be larger in order to dilute the high levels in your tank sufficiently, or get some zeolite rocks in there.

what im trying to say is dont stick hard and fast to a set method. do things slowly, test the water regularly and water changes as needed.

sorry jdak i seem to have written a book ;-)

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

ha ha ha ha, funny about the book thing.
IMO nobody really reads what you write on these forums.
they do what they want regardless.

my new tank

23 posts • Page 2 of 3