my new tank

23 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I feel compelled to add to the book. Most of the posters have indicated that water changes are essential while cycling a tank. I agree completely. As much as i'd like to comment on the fish-in vs. fish-less cycle,,,,i'll save it for another thread. We've high jacked this one enough :) To the OP, just keep doing those water changes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

yes jdak there is the fishless cycle, but the person who started this thread did not implement the fishless cycle, he or she added fish first...so please again, stick to the topic

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

breaknrun is right to an extent: there is bacteria in the water column, true, but most of the bacteria are scattered amongst the filters/pads, all over any surface, especially the gravel (the gravel is a hotbed of good bacteria...reason I never ever vacuum (another expert tip shot down).

On the other hand, dependent upon the water testing (reason water testing is absolutely necessary), if the ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate is very high, do a 50% water change; if low, do a 25% water...and after the tank is cycled, you should always do a 25-30% water change every week, all at once, but preferably twice a week, that is, 12-15% on one day, 12-15% on another).

Our fish do not live in swamps. A water change mimics the rivers/streams/oceans etc...water is constantly changing, hence, a water change ((smiles)).

One last thing, if the fish cycle is applied. Two danios will begin the cycling via their poop. Believe it or not, I started the cycle with 2 zebra danios (very hardy), these 2 fish started the process, after a few days, I added 6 more zebra danios, watched very closely, tested vigorously, like almost every day, which sped up the cycling, that in about 3-4 weeks, the tank was cycled; usually 2 zebra danios will cycle an entire tank within 6 weeks (on average)...and best of all, all the zebra danios remained alive after the cycling.

So again, Observation. Test. Water change. Do not Overfeed. Observation. And enjoy.

my new tank

23 posts • Page 3 of 3