Hi Nitrites

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

rhondaks

Hi Nitrites

by rhondaks

I have a 50 gallon tank that has been running for 1 months. I have a bio wheel filter with 4 pads and 2wheels and 2 air stones with sand instead of gravel. I have cichlids in the tank. My Nitrites are out the roof high and I can not get them down i know that i was over feeding in the beginning but have really cut back in the last week and half. I have been doing a 20% water change everyday. My nitrate is good and my ph is high but what it is suppose to be for cichlids. In the beginning I was cleaning the filters with fresh water but have not done that in 2 weeks or more. The fish have started to rub themselves on the sand and rock. I assume because they have itch. They do not have any spots and are very active and eat well. They seem to always be hungry. I am using strips to test but plan on getting a better tester today. I have lowered the water level to allow more air in. I really need help. what should I do

jdak702

by jdak702

This is due to your tank not being completely cycled. Nitrites take about 2 weeks to turn to nitrates.

rhondaks

by rhondaks

It has been running for 1 month. Yesterday I added Stability which I will do every day for a week and I added Prime and Cichlids Lake salt. I tested the nitrites this morning and they are still high but I am sure it will not change over night. They do seem to be doing less rubbing.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I've never had ich or symptoms of ich in my tank, so i can't comment on how to treat that, but i would definitely recommend that you keep up on your daily water changes until your tank finishes cycling. What is Stability?

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

What size tank is it, and how many fish are in there?
Do you see ich in the tank? It sounds as if you do not.
Is that tank overstocked?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first do not change your filters or filter pads for their an incubator for good bacteria. Without bacteria your tank will never complete its cycle. Second, how many fish do youhave in your tank? IF too many, the fish poop may be overhwelming the cycle. Usually a cycle will take between 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer (at most, 12 weeks, but this is very rare).

Let mother nature do her job. Continue with the water change, if the ammonia, nitrite or nitrate gets too high, do a water change of about 25-40%; if the tests are low, do a 20-25%...get the drift. Use reason my friend.

Also do not overfeed during this time. Overfeeding and fish poop from too many fish will give the tank explosive amounts of mini cycles within the cycling, in other words, the cycle needs to follow one course of action: ammonia rises, then falls, in turn, nitrite rises, then falls as nitrate rises then falls...ammonia and nitrite must always be 0 thereafter and nitrate 10-30 ppm is fine.

Again, please leave the filters alone. If not, the cycle will never complete itself, and you may wind up with a tank that cycle for years. I am sure you do not want this. Once it is cycled, it will be on its way to being established (an established tank usually takes about 6-12 months, and the water chemicals test themselves out...for instance, when I first started, I tested a few times a week; after 6 months, twice a week; after a year, once a week; in the last 8 months, I only test if I see a fish or living specie suffering or if a fish dies.

Patience. Observation. Water change. Test water. And more patience.

Please do not panic, it's a great hobby, enjoy it.

AbadHabit

by AbadHabit

I agree with yasherkoach. And only fill two of you filter pad holes. I found that with my penguin 200, two pads restrict the flow of the water after a short period of time, and the bacteria does not grow as fast. And if you have to clean the filter...DON"T use tap water. It will sterlize your filter, and put ammonia back in the aquarium. I only used two pads in mine when I know I can't rinse the old one any more so you have a clean filter that bacteria is all ready on. And I would say you probably do need to change more volume of your water out. Mabey 50% then 25 or 30%. But don't clean the filter,filter housing, or anything that your bacteria can grow. I have read that you can get some coarse foam for filters and weigh a peice down in your tank and the bacteria grows quicker in it. Should send you my foam out of my Aquaclear. You would have a bacterial bloom quick. I never change it untill it starts going over the overflow. Then I just rinse it out in some of the water from the tank. Keep going,,you'll get it. And I just check my tap water for ammonia. Check the tank if someting looks amiss. I almost tell you daily, where my Pleco has been by the gravel movement.

rhondaks

by rhondaks

I checked my levels again this morning and they are still high I did about a 40% water change and then tested again and they were the same. How can that be? I am only feeding once a day and I have 11 fish all 3 inches or less. I have been using stability for 7 days and I have added prime and Cichlid salt. it will be six weeks on Monday. I just want to know am I in fear of loosing any fish until this works itself out? None of them look bad and they are not scratching any more. There has never been any signs of them being ill other than the scratching. I may be a little behind on it get stable because in the begining I would wash everything very good with fresh water not tank water even the filters. I have not done that in a few weeks. I had dolimite but I took it out to see if that was the problem but no change.

AbadHabit

by AbadHabit

As long as your fish aren't showing signs of stress, all you can do is let it keep cycling. But it is harsh to have to change you water daily, and you bacteria will grow slower. Watch your fish, that is the biggest sign. Also changing water that often can stress your fish. 2 good things that I had good luck with when I first started my tank,(over a year ago), is API Stress coat, which helps with the ammonia,and the slime coat for fish. And that could have been what was making your fish "itch". The prtective coat on them wasn't strong enough to protect them, so their scales-skin itched to them. And 2nd, API Stress Zyme. It contains live bacteria and speeds up the cycle. But FOLLOW the directions.I don't think you can over dose the stress coat...but the stress zyme....another story. To much and you will have a major out break of algae. Not good, cause then you will have to scrape your tank and change water again. And then use API Algaefix to keep it knocked down. But you can't use it if you have crustaceans,(shrimp, crabs, ect). And it says wont hurt fish..but when I used it once the bottom feeders acted a little funny for a day or so. Only use it if you have to. I went thru about the same as you are when I started my tank. All though I didn't have Cichlid's, just some zebras, and long finned tetera's. Still got them. It is so much easier if you can get some gravel from a good cycled tank. I started with a 10 gal, and when I got it cycled(finally), took half the gralvel from it and the whole filter and put it on my 30 gal. It cycled in a week. I was pulling my hair out till I talked to a guy at a fish place, and he told me I was over doing it. JUST WATCH YOUR FISH. They will let you know. And always have some aged water with NO ammonia in it. Just check it and see..then do what you have to and make it 0ppm. That is what did the trick for me. When my fish started acting sluggish or breating fast(not beacuse of not enough O2), but the ammonia can show the same signs. Now I just change 5 gal every month or if the water starts murking up. I just make sure no ammonia in the water I change with. I have 9 different types of plants and about 35 fish in my 30 gal. And just finshed today makeing my 10 gal all live plants to. It has 5 different types of plants and 15 fish. The water in both tanks are the same on all readings when I tested them today. Ammonia-0ppm Nitrites-0ppm Nitrates-30ppm P.H.-7.0 Temp-80 degreese. And I only checked to make sure because all the plants came from clippings from my 30 gal, and I didn't want to shock them. You will get the feel and it will just go poof, and work. Oh, and get some hornwart plants..you don't have to plant them..just let them float. They will help out with the cycling to. You'll get it, and it's fun..cause then you can tell some one else how did it. Let me know how it goes.
8399d-Top_C,L,&M_Plants.jpg
e0afa-Top_L_&_C_Plants.jpg
ba5f7-Top_Sucker_&_Plants.jpg
a1c71-Zebra.jpg
c49ae-Male_flame&_neons.jpg

rhondaks

by rhondaks

Thank you for all the responses and trying to help me.

Hi Nitrites

13 posts • Page 1 of 2