Ammonia Question??

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dshantel83

Ammonia Question??

by dshantel83

I have a 10 gallon tank with three platys that has been set up for 5 wks..My nitrites are finally reading at 0ppm and have been the past 3 days with nitrates at 5ppm problem is my ammonia is continuing to read between .25-.50ppm. I have been doing 20% daily water changes with prime with no budge in ammonia reading..so today I decided to do a 40% water change then tested my water and got a .25ppm reading still. Tested my tap water and it read .50 ppm.I'm using API droplet test kits.What do I need to do to get the ammonia out of my tank? Any help info please would be greatly appreciated

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

So, according to your tests, the ammonia is at .50 coming right out of the tap? That's a predicament. You could use store bought water, or part store bought water perhaps, but you'd have to mind the ph. You could prefilter the water before putting it in your tank. Happen to have access to well water? I don't know. Does your tap water taste like shit? Just curious.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I'm afraid to test my tap ahhhhh.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

They do make a ceramic ring and a few other products to remove ammonia as well. Google ammonia removal in freshwater tanks. That's what I'd do anyway idk....

FishMane25

by FishMane25

your tank probably still hasnt finished cycling yet, my tank a solid 3 months to finally work out the ammonia, really the only thing u can do is water changes and clean ur rocks really good until it works itself out...

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Are you testing that water str8 out of the tap?
You will not get an adequate reading by doing that.
Read up on it because testing water str8 from the faucet will not give you true test results.
There is a way to do it as so you get an accurate reading. Do a search and see what you can dig up.
Sorry, I don't remember... it has been a while since I tested my tap water, and I am pretty much sure your water is not that high in ammonia.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Yes, i thought it sounded really high too. To get a more accurate reading, let the tap water sit over night before you test it. Make sure watever the water is sitting in is uncontaminated. Residue from household cleaners could also be affecting your results.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

FRiend, if you purchase Prime, I will promise you will never have a problem with ammonia again. Prime works wonders on tap water that shows a hint of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

AbadHabit

by AbadHabit

Yes, I used prime just only in the beginning when I was cycling my tank. After that I set my water out in 5 gal buckets for 48 or more hours with air stones running in it and most the time I get 0ppm ammonia and about 6.8-7.0 ph. I have left my water run for a hour and checked it. One time it will be 0.50ppm and have had it read 8.0ppm. But I live not far from the water treatment plant. So I get the first shock of chemicals they add. But I always make sure the water I put into my tank is 0 on ammonia. Sounds like you don't have enough benfical bacteria yet. Tanks still cycling. And prime is great, but it only nutralizes the ammonia, it still has to be filtered out. I get ammonia spikes some times(like0.25 is a spike to me), but just usually when I feed the fish to many blood worms. I guess the make for very rich fish poo. But the system handels it. I wish you well. Hope you get it nipped out.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

AbadHabit, I have been in this hobby for a little over 2 years. My tank is completely established. Tap water is key. If the tap water tests 0 for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, then you do not use Prime. If your water tests are above 0 even slightly you use Prime. Prime is the best thing since water was created (((pats back))). Prime can be used well after cycling. Prime will eliminate all ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on each water change.

I do hope you water change at least 25% of the water per week (I have done this for over 2 years...the last house I lived in, the water was bad, ammonia tested at 4.0...the house I am at now tests at 0 for all three above-named chemicals, therefore, I no longer add Prime though I do have Prime on hand in case there is a spike in the water due to a death of fish I cannot find in the live plants).

I consider myself an "expert" in this hobby. I promise you one thing and one thing only, if your tap water tests at anytime above 0 for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, you best use Prime or else you will continue to have fluctuations.

I hope you get the drift. If you need help on anything else, I am here for you (as are others). Good day friend

Ammonia Question??

11 posts • Page 1 of 2