a betta vase inside another tank?

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tekneb

by tekneb

Hey everyone,
So, I currently have two tanks. One is a 20 gallon with rosy barbs, dwarf rainbows, a red tail, and a clown pleco. The other is a large glass vase which houses a gorgeous blood red betta. An idea came to me today that the vase would look amazing inside my 20 gallon tank, with the top just above the surface of the water so the betta wouldn't escape. It would also help me regulate the temp in the vase better, since the vase temperature could never drop below the 76-78 degrees that my 20 gallon is maintained at. Are their any negative consequences here that I am not taking into account (betta getting stressed out, etc)? Or is this an awesome idea that I need to try immediately? I will happily post pics if RMFT approves of my idea. Thanks all!

jdak702

by jdak702

I like the idea. How will you support it?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yeah I say cool. It would be cooler if you found a way for the water to leave and enter the vase. that way you only have to to one water change.

tekneb

by tekneb

mro2you2 I thought the exact same thing you did. Unfortunately all the ideas I came up with involve fully submerging the vase, and that would make feeding the betta kind of hard since his pellets float and my barbs would get to them first. To answer jdak I'm not sure what you mean by support, but I would probably continue doing the same thing I am now. Feed everybody a decent amount of food once a day and skim out the extra, weekly water changes (a big water change for the betta), and occasional water testing.

jdak702

by jdak702

How are you holding it up to the surface of the water? Some kind of stand? A string maybe?

tekneb

by tekneb

Just making a small mountain of gravel. Low tech and extremely efficient.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

you could get some tubing and let it spill into the vase. the vase would over flow and water would be spilling over the sides.

tekneb

by tekneb

While I am a big fan of tubing, unfortunately, it still wouldn't solve the food problem. The food would just leave the vase with the rest of the overflow.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yeah... can you get sinking pellets?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

what I do is get a pinch of flakes and hold them IN the water. So there sink and the betta gets to eat.

22 posts • Page 1 of 3