a betta vase inside another tank?

22 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Sounds cool... I have always used the Betta holders that attach to the tank. A couple of things to remember...Betta's are anabantoids, therefore must have access to surface oxygen or they will suffocate. Also, you may find that the water pressure displacement will make it extremely difficult to keep your vase submerged... Have you though of having small holes drilled into it? That will relieve any pressure and allow for flow. If the top is 1-2" above the surface, then you will get surface air + feeding taken care of... Good luck.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Bettas should not be kept in vases. They can survive in small spaces with no filtration or heating, but that doesn't mean they are happy and thriving. I agree with the comments that suggest you try to find a way for the water to flow through the betta enclosure (maybe a betta enclosure like giantdogg uses?). At the very least, your original idea will keep his vase warm, which is an improvment over his current situation.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

if you really want to keep the betta in the tank I would get one of those intank breeders they sell at petsmart. I use mine to breed what nots.

tekneb

by tekneb

The vase is in! Thanks to everyone for the advice. GiantDogg thanks you for your concern, I have left considerable space above the vase for him to grab air. Natalie allow me quell your concerns as well. This is no normal vase. It is easily over a half gallon in size and could very well be over a gallon. It is not one of those horribly cramped pint sized bowls that they sell in the pet store, nor is it an ultra thin flower vase. I will continue looking into ways to get water flowing through the vase (drilling might be hard since you need special drill bits to put holes in glass) but for now, weekly water changed will have to suffice. I will put pics up as soon as i get a chance. thanks again all!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, i'm glad, but in my opinion, anything under about 2 1/2 gallons is cramped. Studies have shown that bettas kept in larger (3+ gallons), filtered tanks live significantly longer lives than those kept in small, unfiltered vases, which leads me to believe that these conditions are not optimal.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I have done this before with a 2 gallon glass jar in my 55gallon tank. I supported it by stacking it on another large glass jar. It worked really well for my baby Africans, as I had a filter inside of the jar. It did take up like a quarter of the tank though. It was funny to watch my juvy texas and red devil stock the baby africans from the outside. The babies though the Red devil was their mother, and would rush over to meat with him, only to be stopped by a glass wall.

tekneb

by tekneb

Natalie do you have the links to those studies? I would love to read them (not trying to sound like a dick, I actually do believe you and I would love to read the articles on it). Josmoloco that is adooorable. The beta rushes up to my barbs in a similar manner, but I highly doubt its cuz he thinks they're his mom lol.

tekneb

by tekneb

Finally got some pics! My apologies for the sub par quality, had to use my camera phone, but you guys will get the gist of it.
100be-freshwatertank.jpg
10fde-betta.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

tekneb--handsome betta. I haven't actually read the studies, but saw them referenced in a book. I BELIEVE it was "Bettas" by Walt Maurus. I agree that it would be interesting to read the actual studies.

BTW, tank dividers are really cheap and easy to use. I have my ten gallon divided in half for my two male bettas, but you could divide off a smaller section of tank too.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Tekneb, one other thing. Bettas are excellent jumpers. Keep an eye on him. It looks like he could hop into your main tank pretty easily.

a betta vase inside another tank?

22 posts • Page 2 of 3