Peterkarig

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

stingraysrule

Peterkarig

by stingraysrule

Hey, I saw this video, check it out.... it is disgusting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WkYsYJ ... re=related

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea. I think mine is bigger and mine is 16 inches.

I've never fed them mice. Mice are a little large for mine to comfortably swallow and I have 2 smaller gars that for sure couldn't swallow one.

I usually feed my gars freeze dried krill (shrimp), and occasionally I give them feeder goldfish because they love hunting and it brings out their natural instincts.

I recently raised about 100 tilapia from fry to about an inch long each and fed them to the gars. In about a day they were all gone.

These fish can subsist on non-live food, and krill is fortified with vitamins as well I think. If I only fed them goldfish I hear they would be missing a needed nutrient as goldfish don't provide all that the gars need.

I'm moving mine to NY where I intend on building a MUCH bigger tank. I'll have to price the glass, the cutting, renting of the furniture clamps and whatnot, but I was hoping to build something around 500 gallons as my 100 is OK with all the logs, plants, and hiding places, but They deserve to have a bigger tank.

Maybe they'll start growing again too as their wild size is between 3 and 4 feet long.

There are better Youtube videos of gars eating mice, chicks, goldfish, etc. This one was dark and ended prematurely

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Not disgusting... the mouse was just too big....

Peterkarig

3 posts