all of my fish died overnight ......

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

christa

by christa

just got another tank (15gl) my 5gl got a crack in it when we went on vacation, still not sure what happened there? we had to reseal the edges (used aquarium sealer) it had girbles or something in it before and there was no sealent in the corners, got new stones Silica stones washed them really good with hot hot water, washed tank out really good with hot hot water set everything up used well water to fill tank like we always have turned on filter gave it a few hours tested for nitrates, nitrites, ph, and alkinity all looked good acclimated fish for about 1hr total the next morning all of our fish were dead a few were still barley alive so we acclimated them to the fish pond and today they are dead i just dont understand i've never had anything like this happen before any suggestions??? ANY

jdak702

by jdak702

you used well water? straight out of the tap... did you check temp? I would have maybe ran some carbon in that water beforehand. What kind of fish?

christa

by christa

well water it was before it hit the water softener and i have a carbon cartridge in my filter we let it run for a couple hours before we put any of the fish in and it was room temp my heat is on 70 :) like i said this is baffelling me... so far goldfish and koi have come pretty easy for us to keep, till now.... do you suggest another type of fish i want to keep it rather inexpensive its in out 2yr olds room and the wrong toy thrown in (hasent happened yet just planning ahead) could do the trick, again.

jdak702

by jdak702

Couldn't help you on the choice of fish. I know water softened water isn't the best for fish but you are right, those are some strong fish and temp shouldn't have mattered. Your sealer was meant for aquariums and didn't say mildew resistant anywhere on the bottle?

christa

by christa

nope i even double checked it thinking my husband may have used a caulk rather than aquarium sealent and no we used the right stuff

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Need more clues.

Enough aration?
Too much food before cycle has started?
What were the fish doing or looking like when they died?
I don't know about regular caulk, but silicone sometimes has mold resistant additives unless it says safe for aquariums. I doubt that that killed the fish though. Could have been pH shock if the pH of the previous water was very different than the new water.

More clues please.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

did you use the same gravel from the other tank? you said you had a 5 gallon now a 15 gallon...what type of fish?

key here is, what were the differences between the 5 gallon and the 15 gallon...did you add all the same things from the other tank into this tank?

I have a sneaking suspicion it had to do with a chemical in the water regardless of the filter or some form of chemical was introduced into the tank.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

where do you live???

We may be able to help if you tell us where you live.

jdak702

by jdak702

what does that have to do with anything?

Cilla692

by Cilla692

My guess would be pH shock. If you had goldfish in a 5 gal there is a good chance that the pH had become very low, then when you moved them into the new tank where the pH was fine it shocked them because they had become used to the low pH.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2