To Eat Or Not Eat A Fish

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

To Eat Or Not Eat A Fish

by yasherkoach

from kraigt's thread on Anyone good at shrimp identification?

and part of the thread, as you scroll down, has the following comment from me:

the thing about us humans, we keep fish yet we have no problem watching fish fry...personally, I am a fish, poultry, beef, pork, lamb, duck, etc eater, but if I had to look the live animal in the eye before I behead it, that's where I'd starve at...but ready made or dead before I get it, then I have no problem devouring the animal

actually, shame on me and others...but I am a omnivore just like most fish and I do not think a shark would think twice about biting into my well fed leg...so in the balance, in all honesty or reality, no one thing gets to live forever

as long as there is a balance, we will continue to chop away at our fellow species

sol my question for all, what is your take on devouring or chopping away at the fleshy meat of a fish (or other specie)?

nice topic, eh?

kraigt

by kraigt

hahahaha i have a guppy thats very annonying to the other fish, but I couldn't harm him, yet I'd be willing to go to the chip shop for a cod and chips

you know I like my shrimp, even had a tear recently when I lost my most treasured one, would never harm them, yet my favourite meal at the pub is scampi

think its a case of, what the mind don't see the belly will eat

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I have to admit I do think about how much pain many animals go through before humans consume them. Not to mention the beef industry, I saw a large frshwater fish in a documentary that was alive and being scaled. That must hurt!

All the time animals are kept alive in horrible condition so the meat doesn't rot.
I eat meat. I've also killed a small deer by drowning it in a lake with my hands, among other kills, and I really don't like it. Now I have a problem cutting the head off a trout!
I wouldn't mind being eaten by something but I hope I'm dead and didn't suffer much before it happens.

My parents in upstate NY kill a deer every year and split the meat with people.

I think if you can't kill you shouldn't eat meat.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

every day I tell myself that I should raise big meaty picus and put them on the grill! for the side ill have some tasty catfish!! :) makes me hungry.....

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Interestingly, i'm a pescetarian...the ONLY meat i eat is fish! Seems my love of fish is a complicated and multifaceted one! I sympathize w/PK's statement that if you can't kill your own meat, you shouldn't be eating it. In fact, i have more respect for hunters than for people who eat nothing but factory produced meat. (Although drowning something seems an unusually cruel way to kill it, which i don't agree with).

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Natalie. The situation with the deer was a tough one. I was driving home to my place in the woods and a logger stopped me. He said that a small deer had run into a tree and had broken it's back and was paralized.

I found it scaired and twisted up, and it was in bad shape. I didn't have a gun, had a bad experience putting another animal out of it's misery with a sledge hammer to the head (very traumatic for me as it wasn't as quick as I expected), and I didn't know any other way to put it down. I was way out in the middle of nowhere, and it was up to me.

I won't do that again. I gave the meat away.

I suppose I could have used a...........OK.

Enough.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

what so scary about chopping its head off or useing a sledge hammer to nock its head loose? I really dont have feelings for any dumb animal but ones that I care for.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Have you ever done that?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if I had the heart I would kill or hunt animals and eat them, but I just can't look the animal in the eye and kill it.

Even live lobster in the store, I would like nothing better than to set them all free. I would never ever purchase a lobster from a live tank in the market...yet if the lobster was packaged in a neat bag and placed on butter, yum.

I guess it's the look in the eye that troubles me.

like kraigt said: "what the mind don't see the belly will eat" is exactly where I'm coming from.

Now I do support the 2nd amendment completely, absolutely in support of this...but for me, I would not own a gun for defense or for hunting (for defense, I will take my chances in other ways...I'm 51, I lived this long without dying, I guess I'm doing something right........oh oh, wait one second, someone just broke into the house....................................just kidding :) But on the hunting, it's always in the eye especially if I know the animal has babies nearby.

I started this post because we as fishkeepers would never ever kill or hurt our fish. Even a small shrimp, our hearts sink. I know the species I have in the tank are very dear to me. It's a wonder unto itself, which I take great pleasur ein. Yet I know, tomorrow or the next day or whenever, I will have a fish on a plate with butter, and down it goes.

Like Aristotle said: humans are social-political animals. It's the animal in me to want to taste a good steak or a nice fried fish...I guess it's a dilemma all humans must either acknowledge or again like kraigt said (which I can't say any bit the wiser): "what the mind don't see the belly will eat"

Well I guess I'll go rate some pictures, enough of this morbid ironic topic.

Thanks for the responses...it appears we're all in the same boat.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

PK--what a horrible situation. I'm sorry that you had to go through that.

To Eat Or Not Eat A Fish

15 posts • Page 1 of 2