Cayano-bacteria. Low nitrates.........?????

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I can't seem to completely get rid of this crap. The nitrates are between 5 and 10 ppm, which is low.

Should I be testing for things like phosphates, hardness, ?????

The tank has zero nitrite and zero ammonia, pH is about 6.5 with the co2. I lost one of the 3 light fixtures. I has 2 95 watt old actinic, and a fixture with 2 39 watt (I think 10,000K) bulbs. The one that's broken has I think 2 6,500K flourescents.

I forget to turn on the fan sometimes and the temp gets up to 85F also.

Does temp and or light have an influence on this stuff, or could it be that I only use the natural nitrates in the tank as well as the Eco-complete substrate as fertiliser?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Interesting helping PK...anyway....I guess I would ask questions like which tank is it, how often do you "forget" to turn on the fan, etc...I would also ask..how bad is it? Cyanobacteria is a complex part of the Nitrification process, in small amounts it can be very pretty on the rocks, etc...as you know, it can be toxic in large amounts. Of course, it likes light and higher temps, so a water change (25% per day for a week) and leave the lights off (Moonlight system in place?) can help as well as maintaining a lower (consistent) temp of 75-78?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Just got a timer for the fan which keeps the water at about 79F. I usually don't forget to turn it on, but I guess I'll have to admit (feel like I'm talking to my docter) that the temp often gets well into the 90's, like 95F I'd say.

I hate those little bobbing thermometers, and my digital was acting up, so it's usually the back of my hand on the glass, and since now in the AM it's 89F I'm guessing 95F when it's warmer.

This is not the 100 gallon with the gars. That has a tiny bit I'm not concerned with and it's plants are doing very well.

This is the 30 (or something) gallon higher light tank with DIY co2. The Cayano gets pretty ugly if I dont remove it every couple days, but since I do it's plants are also growing well.

Did a nitrate test and there was no change in color, so I think with all the water changes and profuse plants nitrates are about 1-3 ppm.

I guess it may be the lights. I triple up different fixtures. Maybe the double 95 watt actinic and white 10,000K bulbs I use are doing it. They're throw aways from the aquarium store dumpster and I like them because they light up the tetras, and because I can't afford to buy new ones at $75 a bulb.

I am going out to buy new4,500K bulbs from the hardware store today (I think) to fix the broken one of the 3 fixtures (2 bulbs each).

I would buy more 10,000K but can't afford it now.

There's really very little algae I have to scrape myself. The snails, ottos, and shrimp eat most of it. There's plenty of current too.

Can't think of anything else. Probably either the high temp or old lights I'm guessing.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

About the "lights off" idea.

I need light for the plants, so I don't think I want to ues that approach.

I'm going to try keeping the temp down and just remove it when it gets too yucky. It only takes a few swishes of my hand to get it off.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

PK! You should be ashamed with your knowledge and beautiful tanks! 95 degrees? LOL.....I didn't know it was a planted tank....what type of fish are in it? Could they tolerate a lower temp for a week or so? If you keep the tank in the 70 degree range (ONLY if your [plants and fish could tolerate it, of course). If not, you are stuck swishing your hand around every couple of days....

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Getting the temp down to 70 would not be hard at night when the lights are off, but during the day that would be tough W/O a chiller. Even with the fan, a one foot diameter Vornado house fan, blowing at the tank 6 inches from the side with air being funelled behind the tank and under the lights the temp is now 79.5. It's going up.

I may have to make a hood with exaust fans to do this right.

Oh......I have 23 Cardinal tetras, about 3-4 ottos, 5-7 ghost shrimp, a 6 inch dojo, a cooie loach, lots of Malaysian trumpit snails and some rams horn snails I add periodically because they are great at cleaning the algae. The Malaysians must eat the ramshorns eggs because there are never any RH eggs or young ones.

I also moved 3 larger black molly fry to this tank, though I don't think I'll keep them if they get too big.

I have lots of anubias bartari in the back on wood and nana mid way in. There's tiger lilly, dwarf hair grass, dwarf and regular baby tears, Java fern and moss on the wood, and some other plants.

I have to thin out the tank every once and a while and like to have some open Eco Complete areas in front.

I'll submit pics soon as I will have acess to a camera when my freind comes over next time.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Well...Good luck. Side note, (Don't know if you knew...) the Dojo likes colder temps (68-72 degrees), but if it grows out (10-12"), it will eat your Cardinals and your snails. If he goes "crazy" sometimes (swimming excessively, going to the top, etc), it is probably because of the higher temp.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've had the dojo for about 2 years and it hides in the plants most of the time. Seems quite happy when it comes out at feeding time.

It stopped growing at about 6 inches a long time ago.

I'm gona cool this tank down to probably about 75F and see how it goes.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

A dojo at 12" ???? I've never seen them get any bigger than about 6, and I had another that lived for about 5 years too.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Because your tanks are too hot for them. I had one at 9" that lived for about 8 years in a Goldfish tank that was 100 gallons. It stayed about room temp (68 or so)

17 posts • Page 1 of 2