Cayano-bacteria. Low nitrates.........?????

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Wait....Hopefully we're talking about the same kind of Dojo....If you have a Golden Dojo, they are about 6" max. A Weather Dojo (the brown one) are much bigger...lol.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Holy shit PK, 95 degrees?! I don't know anything about cynobaceria, but i have a hunch that at temps like that, something is bound to go wrong! But i appreciate that you were willing to admit it, when you know we all look up to you so much around here :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Finally rid of the cayano bacteria! All it took was Phosban in a media bag in the filter.

This tank is finally looking like something I am willing to show off. I'm keeping the temp at 76 F and the plants seem to be jumping.

I replaced a couple of bulbs and got some Flourish and some fertiliser, and I pruned.

I'll post pics soon when it fills out a bit.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

phosban...thats it I'm sold. I had a huge outbreak of the stuff some many threads ago on this very forum. The best advice I had been given up to that point was to do a blackout. I turned the lights and moonlights off, covered the tank with light-blocking towels and sheets for 5 full days only removing to feed the fish. As soon as 5 days were over, i turned the lights on -- the sand and all objects had no algae or CB on them whatsoever but the water was very cloudy, so I did a 50% water change which seemed to slow the rebound significantly. I did another w/c of 25% several days later, and the stuff still slowly came back.

To this day I still have some. I'll have to see if I can get some phosban and a media bag to put in my aquaclear 70.

I wound up throwing out my large piece of driftwood which is still pictured to the left with a bunch of java moss on it, simply because it was so covered. I also lost 95% of my plants.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That sucks about the plant loss. I think this tank of mine is possibly looking about as good as it's going to. It's got a lot of java moss and fern, and anubias nana and bartari with some red tger lilly. There's also some other plants of which's name I can't remember growing in the substraight along with some dwarf baby tears.

I was hoping to get the dwarf hair grass and or micro sword going better before taking pics, but it looks pretty good now.

I have about 22 cardinal tetras that are staying alive thankfully. I have to remove one every few weeks or so because I think there's neon tetra disease in this tank. Seems if I remove fish that are looking bumpy and weird the others don't catch it, or at least I seem to be managing it.

That sucks you lost the plants on the wood. I have my wood totally covered with moss, ferns, and anubias, and there is some black furry algae that actually looks good covering some of the otherwise bare areas including the filter equipment. I got that under control doing extra water changes, so now it looks just like another kind of plant, a really soft, black furry kind.

Now I just need to find a camera!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

How long after starting to filter through phosban did you notice a difference PK? I threw some in my aquaclear today.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

One to two weeks and it was gone.

I have a camera tonight! Now I just have to figure out how it works.

Cayano-bacteria. Low nitrates.........?????

17 posts • Page 2 of 2