okay, fresh post, dying zooanthids

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

water parameters are like theyve always been, the usual, just in hte past 2 months my zooanthids have gradually been dying, not only one colony, every colony in my tank is pretty much gone, they just shut up and die, my ricordea, xenia, hammer, mushrooms and polyps are all fine........ dont really know whats going on, any thoughts.

PS what would be a good fish to get, i have a cleaner shrimp, crabs and snails so nothing predatory, no lid so things that jump alot are out, i have a coral beauty and two black and white oscellaris in a 70 gal tank. reef compatable

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would say you have zoanthid eating nudibranchs. They suck and there a pain to rid. get a six line wrasse, or a anthias. I love my anthias. :)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ive been thinking about a six line for a while now, jus concerned with the tank not having a lid on it, havent gotten around to that yet, they had a couple of twin spot hogfish at the lfs hte other day, seemed a little different, i killed my anthias, not really sure why, i think its because i only feed my fish once daily and im sure you have to feed them multiple times per day....... by the way you just posted your 1600th post.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

HAHA, YES!! 1600! WOO!! Prolly a good idea with the six line. I haven't fed my anthias in 5 days. :/ Probably should do that. haha. Some are just not in good health when you get them. What kind did you buy?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i bought 2 female squami anthias and 1 male, i believe theyre a different name on liveaquaria , not sure what it is though, the 1st female lasted about 2 weeks then she began to sit at hte bottom of the tank and not eat very much, then the other female did hte same thing about 5 weeks after i bought them, then about 2 months later my male got REALLLLY skinny..... and then jus disappeared......

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hmm thats too bad bud. Your lfs doesnt carry them? I bought mine from one of the best lfs in southern United States. Its at the beaches in Jax. They quarantine EVERYTHING for a month before they sell it. :) Its really nice.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yea thats where i bought mine (LFS), I think the 2 famales and the male together cost like 150 with tax...... :/

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ouch! I only paid 35. I bought a Bartletts Anthias, they are known to be a little easier to keep and they will eat a little more readily.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ya, my lfs sells bartlettes for like 59 a PIECE........ no fun............. btw my nem has no split into 3 NEMS....... great........... and all 3 are white because they lost their bacteria

fihsboy

by fihsboy

well congrats on the split, sorry they arent looking too hot. I know people in my reef club that have been in the hobby for 20+ years and have never had a nem split, that certainly is an accomplishment. :)

17 posts • Page 1 of 2