I suddenly have two African Frogs -- help, I know nothing!!

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I took two of these from someone who was abusing them. I know nothing about them. I have a 28 gallon freshwater tank, heated to 80 degrees, filtered, with 3 female Bettas and 4 male Guppies, densely planted with artificial plants, and small-medium sized dark substrate. I have no idea if they can live here (they are in there right now, hiding, been there for a few hours). I also don't know what they like to do or what they like to eat. I've tried to read online about them, but every site says something different so I'm hoping people here will know.

Help me save these little guys, their entire body isn't much bigger than a quarter each, Oh, I *think* they are African Dwarf Frogs.

Zambize

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

they will eat your bettas and your guppies. keep a eye on them!

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Calm down. I have a few and they are very cool. All you have to feed them is sinking bottom feeder pellets. They can survive a large range in tempature and p.h. They will sometimes swim up to the top to get air and then float back down.
GOOD LUCK

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

sorry i just past over the dwarf part. they will probably get those guppies.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

What?! They'll eat my fish!? I at least thought they were docile with fish! Yikes. They're small, without feet they are only the size of a quarter, at the most. My Guppies are at least an inch and fast. Will this Guppy feast take place now or do I have some time to find a new home for these little monsters???

Zambize

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

like i said i passed over the dwarf part . i was thinking african clawed frog.. sorry your fish should be fine.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know anything about raising frogs, but I know in nature I've seen them sitting in shallow water with their heads sticking out most of the time. I would, and I'm not everybody, put a stick or something in the tank so they could hang out at the water's edge. You would have to put a cover on top so they didn't hop out, but that's just me. I'm sure most people don't provide an island for them and they do just fine.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

I know then peter about frogs

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

But Freshwaterpleco. Here's another example besides frogs (which have lungs for breathing air) of an animal people keep in their tanks under water with no way to hang out in air, only to rise to the surface and gulp it if they need to. Turtles. My neighbor keeps her turtle in a tank with no island, and I feel sorry for it. Turtles naturally rest in shallow water or on the banks of streams and ponds. Also fiddler crabs. They may be able to live under water all the time, but they live in holes on beaches in Texas and run into the water mainly to escape birds and to feed. Wouldn't you want your fish, frog, turtle, etc to be as happy as possible?

Deuce15663241

by Deuce15663241

Usually dwarf frogs wont harm any fish and even tho peter is right about the turtles and crabs the frogs don't need to hang out in the air. It's pretty much toads that need to hang out and get some sun. Btw peter please tell your neighbor to go to the store and buy a small turtle dock for her turtles along with a spot light or else its not going to live 1/2 as long as it should.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2