new skimmer

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

new skimmer

by Snowboss4492

after a couple months of using a failing red sea prizm HOB skimmer and 2 weeks without one after it finally died {due to a clock falling off the wall onto it, lol} i went out today and bought a coralife super skimmer. its rated for up to 65 gallon tanks {mines a 20} and can be used HOB or in sump. i am useing it HOB and im not real happy about the size of the equipment in the tank now but it's a neccesary evil i guess, till i get a nano sump built down the road

it's a needle wheel type, im not a big fan of bubblers or tornadic applications {downdrafts} and that is completley my opinion - all skimmers are equal until proven to be pieces of shit in my book..............lol

set up and installation were pretty smooth and this thing is SUPER quiet...............ive prolly looked at it 5-10 times today to make sure it's still runing. theres a bubble cup thing on the return that i need to adjust and get setting level and then it'll be perfectly set up -it is basically a catch pan for bubbles returning to the tank

i am following the instructions word for word and line by line so i can give an acurate opinion on it, so i am now running at half speed {no skimate at all} for 24 to 72 hours for break in according to the manufactures instructions, from there i will slowly over a couple days time bring her up to full speed, and we shall see if i wasted money or did ok

later all

Da Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss. Be careful with this skimmer! I had one on my 29 for about 6 months. I drained half the water out of my tank onto the floor from the damn thing. ( I was using tap water conditioner) But if it overflows....it overflows bad. Take your time getting it up to where it should be. :) Strong strong strong skimmer........my lfs has one running on a 200gallon fish only system.......works great. These.......in a sump.....for the money........insane! Just take your time with it and it will be good to you. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

maybe I should drill and mod the cup to drain into a jug eh?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well my problem was I let it go too high. I like wet skimmate. Just be careful with it. Im just giving you a heads up. no one wants wet fish sh#$ on there floor. :) Im sure you know by now it packs a powerful punch. Its a great skimmer, but a mod may not be a bad idea. I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would be overflowing on my floors........thats what made me get rid of it. Wish I had it again though now that I have a sump. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

it's a HOB in the sump installation too..........that sucks............you just run a longer tube to get the pump down into the water

lol now im nervous cause im notorious for tank overflows

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You can put it IN sump. thats no biggie. Just turn your piece that holds it on the tank backwards and it will hold it up right in the tank. :) It works great. I was using prime at the time......which is why it did it so bad. And I got lazy and didnt clean the cup a few times. Just stay on top of it and you will be happy with it.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

day 3

skimmer is at 3/4 spped and the air is half open and im makeing the beginnings of what looks to be some nice "tea" colored skimate

ill be keeping a close eye on it ....but so far so good .....ill ramp her up to full speed tomorrow night

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hows it runnin boss?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i turned it up some more tonight and have it set where i want it

so far she's running real quiet and real smooth, makin some nasty looking tea

i think its gonna be a pretty good outfit actually............time will tell

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Its a GREAT skimmer.....you just cant use any water conditioner with it. And you have to not get lazy and leave it dirty. Unless you want a bigger mess. Glad its doing well!

new skimmer

15 posts • Page 1 of 2