My 45 gallon tank build.

32 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ehh.....not sure.......its auto top off. haha. probably a gallon though. I have a trash can that holds about 10 gallons of water.......when it runs out I do a water change. :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

ATO...Someday..I thought about using a digital timer a small pump in a Wrapping paper container...turn a mj pump on for 1 min a day or whatever the ratio would be.Probably not the best idea though..?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ill take pictures of mine. It cost me....... with pump trashcan and float valve. 25 bucks. it couldnt be easier! I will post pics either today or tomorrow. I have to work today.....but I might get the pics up. It took me about 15 minutes to set it up. :)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ask and you shall recieve. I bought a tom aquatics aqualifter pump a float valve off of ebay cut a small piece of acrylic and used silicon to mount it. and a trash can. Here are pictures of my diy ato. Get all your stuff and set it up where it will be measure your distance for plugs etc. If you dont have the distance you need. use an extension cord to splice and put in the float valve. Splice your cord where you want to put the float valve........just splice on cord, not both. Put in your float switch between the two ends of the one wire you cut. Finish up your ends and make them water tight with your tape etc. I glued mine on the back of the sump so I know if its wet or not. hook up your pump and see if it works with the switch. It should. Mount the switch where you would like it. and make sure your pump is above your water line.......you dont want back siphoning. I have mine as far up as I can. :) Easy DIY. And worth its weight in gold. I dont top off daily anymore. I just add water to my trashcan every once in a while.......no worries. :) and talk about stable. My salinty NEVER changes. NEVER. I love it.

Heres a pic of the float valve and wiring glued behind it. Easy access in the case it has to be removed. And its a dry area as well.
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/2rehcmr.jpg[/IMG]
Heres the pump elevated in my stand as high as it can go. Works great!
[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/121yd6v.jpg[/IMG]
My UPS and my trashcan for RO water.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/ac8lg2.jpg[/IMG]
Heres a picture of the PVC down the edge. This keeps the airline tubing straight and to the bottom of the trashcan without any problems. No clogging and easy to clean. :)
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/fao789.jpg[/IMG]

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

nice job - - i have a complete tom aquatics wet/dry filter - -it sucks...........lol im going to make a standard sump when i figure out how big a tank i can squeeze into the stand, but im going to keep the overflow and aqualifter as i like them alot, nice DIY useing the lifter as a ATO pump

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Thanks boss. I am going to buy a

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... ndor~.html

To dose my two part solution. My jugs will fit that im going to use will be enough to last me almost a year........freakin awesome. So im thinking thats what im going to do. Auto top off........auto dosing........now all I need is a auto water change. haha.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

looks cool and costly............i guess im kinda old school and like to get my hands wet and full of shit when im working with my babies if my tank looks good its cause i did it if it looks bad its because i did it.............nothin wrong with auto controlling stuff, just not my cup o tea

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well.......im a gear guy. I like to buy shi%. haha. I like to have the latest and greatest equipment. And im thinking this will make my life worry free on vacation. :) along with my auto top off.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

oh i hear ya on the "gear guy" im a tool junky and have a bad jeep and sports car habit that gets all my gadget attention, lol - - i need to reiterate, i like the ATO and will have one, its the doseing and X10 type stuff i dont care for. for me i think it would pull me away from my tanks and make me feel like "everythings ok" because i have a machine doing it.................then id be setting up tank crashes left and right.............it's just the way my luck works, lol

im going to have multiple tanks running by this winter and i just have to be a hands on guy

so i say again, theres nothing wrong with that stuff and i actually like seeing tanks all wired up neatly - - -just not for me

Boss

My 45 gallon tank build.

32 posts • Page 3 of 4