cleaning cichlid tank

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dane918

cleaning cichlid tank

by dane918

just wanted to ask a few questions with cleaning my cichlid tank...its a five foot tank (280 litres) with around 20 medium sized cichlids...
-how often should i do a water change and how much water?
-how often should i clean the filter (canister)
-How often should i remove and rebuild the rocks in the tank so i can clean underneath them?

sapperdaddy

by sapperdaddy

I just had to gravel vac uner my rocks today, I have a 55g its the first time i done so In almost 3 months. Wow was it dirty. There is a tool on this site that will tell you how much water to change and how often, canister filters will last a will without cleaning, Be sure not to was the bio sponge i did and it took forever to get my bacteria built back up.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I do a water change once a week. I can get away with 2 weeks if need be, but only because the tank is over a year old. I take all my rock out at least once a month to do a really good cleaning, some times more often. Its a pain, but the fish love to explore the new caves I make. Also, it keeps me from getting over run with fry, because without the rocks the adults can get to them. I take out between 30-40% water each time. I have 2 HOB power filters and every other time I scrub out the mechanical parts. I swish my filter media in tank water, only scrub the plastic case.

dane918

by dane918

hmmm i clean mine only once a month and its a pain cause ive got three tanks...thanks for the help...
any other tips for cichlids i need?there still scared

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

dizzcat always gives good advice. i learned alot through her. and yes, fish are alot of work. Especally cichlids!
I have a 70g, and i do a 30% water change every week. i move my rocks about once every 3 months, or when adding new fish. and i vacume the top of the sand as needed, about every 2 weeks or so and when changing rocks around.
I also have a canaster filter, and i clean that once every three months( i change the carbon and microfliter pads and run water through the canister itself.) i change the media and rings once a year) hope this helps.
JazzyD

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You really should be cleaning that tank at the very least every 2 weeks, not just once a month. Africans are messy fish. It is possible they are not as active as they should be because the water is not as clean as they need, so they don't feel their best.

Did you get a ton of rock yet? Any updated pictures of the tank? What is your final stock?

dane918

by dane918

umm yeh i have heaps of rock now with lots of caves and stuff...ummm final stock i guess is number of fish which is 21 i think...
wen u say clean ur tank do u mean just remove water, or clean the gravel at the same time???
i find my gravel is always full of crap even straight after i clean it!...im thinking once i finish skool i will put alot of effort into the tank, cause atm the moment im so busy with skool work!...hopefully i can get them all breeding again soon...
and i looked at my electric yellows and they have matured and it turns out that there are 3 males and 2 femals i think

dizzcat

by dizzcat

When you do a water change, clean the gravel at the same time. As you clean the gravel its also removing water. That way you are getting as much crud out of the gravel as you can. The gravel will probably never be completely clean, but keeping up with it will help. :-)

dane918

by dane918

yeh thats wat i usually do...
i think im gonna have to sum how make time to do it atleast once every two weeks...how much water do u think i should take out if i do it every two weeks??30%????

dizzcat

by dizzcat

30% is about what I take out. I just take out however much is needed to get a good cleaning. This usually comes to about 30%, sometimes more if they have been especially gross :)

cleaning cichlid tank

14 posts • Page 1 of 2