cleaning cichlid tank

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Steveb

by Steveb

I have just bought my first tank complete with fish ....there are 2 Guppies, 1 Angel, 3 black ones with U shaped tails, 3 longish gold ones (awkward swimmers), 3 Tigers, 2 Danios.

I have cleaned out the filter as it was full of ...well it looked mud. The tank is quite clear but the soil/stones at the bottom are grubby. The soil-stones are about 2inches, 5 cm thick. The tank has AQUA SOIL, Amazonia II which is like ...soil. Its soft to squeeze.

I started to scoop it out to wash, but the tank became a cloudy dirty mess so I stopped , registered on this site and voila.....my question.

do I transfer the fish to a clean holding tank and just wash all the soil through a sieve , or do I scoop a few cups out each week and clean slowly or.....

thanks for your help

ryand63

by ryand63

Sorry for the random question but since this is a cichlid discussion i figured i'd ask, i have a 46 bowfront tank that i just started stocking. i have an electric yellow lab, and someone told me i should have atleast four. is this true if i do not care if they breed or not?

deanmachine

by deanmachine

I think the sand look is great, but how do you vacuum a sand tank without sucking up all the sand and having to replace it?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Just hold the end of the hose over the sand and the poo and stuff will get sucked up and not the sand. I use a bucket, that way if I suck up any sand, I just rinse it off and put it back in the tank. Sand is much easier to take care of because everything stays on the surface and does not get down into the substrate like it does in gravel.

cleaning cichlid tank

14 posts • Page 2 of 2