iodine

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

iodine

by breaknrun911

ive been adding iodine by "kent marine" i havent had any casualties......yet.... but does anyone have another company that is better than kent marine? i was thinking about changing if needed. i need more by this wknd.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Are your levels running low? Do you have mostly soft corals and inverts like shrimp and cuks? I dose my tank with Kents long lasting iodine once a month.....and it pretty much stays in my tank. I dont know if you use a 2 part solution, but I use Oceans Blend. And I swear by the stuff. My corals love it, and my rocks are all purple. no complalints here.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

You can make your own two part blend for a fraction of the price.

Here is the link.
Its like damp rid and baking soda.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#3

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I wouldnt trust myself. Id completly destroy my tank. I spend just 30 dollars a year on my two part......

newbie916

by newbie916

I use Kent's Iodine and I add it in small quantities daily. I also have some Lugols I believe, which is a more concentrated version. I haven't used it yet because I've got a routine down and don't want to change it up. The Lugols came with my 24 gallon, when I bought it from craigslist. He swore by the stuff and the corals I got from the guy are awesome. I've notice a huge difference in my rose bubbletip anemone, yuma's, frogspawn, and hammer coral. Pretty much all of my inverts and LPS love the stuff.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

its beginning to and I only have enough for half a dose (per month) and before i go out to get more i wanted some more opinions. i do have a good number of inverts. i know i dont have any pics yet ,b/c my tank is a little under the weather as far as cleanliness

newbie916

by newbie916

That's cool, it's a lot of work trying to keep the tanks prestine. I actually probably dose my tank more than recommended on the bottle, but I have a lot of corals and noticed that they're thriving on a little more. It's scary though because I don't want to overdose. I increase it a little at a time and have water on hand to do a water change just in case:)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Lugols,TMPC= Strong,lol.read the bottle good..the shit is potent, and IMO the best iodine to have , i like to add it to topoff water, so i get the same amount every day + it dillutes it a bit , ..If you overdose iodine,you probably wont know it till its to late, unless your testing.

SWP

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

i dont really test for iodine, only bc most of my corals are thriving quite nicely. but does iodine evaporate when the water does or does it stay in the water just like the salt does? like pimp was saying, when ur topping off u add a little bit? so that does mean it evaporates with the water? wut is ur ratio iodine-water? (pimp)

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I add Lugols to my sump every Monday. Corals all seem to be doing quite well, it's just part of my Monday routine with the tank.

iodine

13 posts • Page 1 of 2