less frequent water changes

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i know before all of you start blogging the shit out of my new theory if you will, for hte past 4 weeks ive done one water change every two weeks instead of every week. dont worry ive kept an eye on my levels and im fine, and let me tell ya, IMO coraline growth has increased as well as coral growth....... personally, unless there are some unseen disasters im not seeing so far, the bi monthly water change system might work better than the weekley one.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Agreed 100%

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

why

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Stability, theres no ph swings, calcium swings, KH swings, temp swings, or salinity adjustments. Sounds crazy.........but I feel the same way. plus its better to do one ever two weeks thats a little larger, it gets out more junk from your water.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i dont see anything wrong with bi monthly changes , but in theory isn't a smaller more frequent changes less stress, less swing, less everything ??

dilution is the solution

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

=To polution!! Bad move Blue....You wont see the effects right away, Give it time, every thing will surely die....

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I dunno.......I just did a water change.......and my tank looks like hell, I did one three days ago.......and four days before that......Im going to lay off mine like I was doing it. im tempted to sell all my corals and set up my new tank with the cash and just buy primo corals, like tyree rainbow acros. :) the big boy stuff. Then I dont have to worry about moving everything.

jweb

by jweb

I don't do many water changes because I don't have a RO unit and tap water changes make the red slime algae go bezerk. I do a water change maybe once every two months or so, atleast until I get a good RO/DI unit. My theory is that with less tap water changes, then less nutrients in the water = better.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

thats what i think to pimp. Thats why i said WHY
If you do 10 percent weekly its less change than
30 percent 40 percent bi weekly

fihsboy

by fihsboy

well..........anything less than 10 gallons is worthless to me.......and with a 29........thats in all honesty around half my water after rocks and sand. So im doing massive water changes. I used to do 15 gallon changes....but that was too much.

16 posts • Page 1 of 2