Petsmart...

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jweb

Petsmart...

by jweb

They told me they cannot sell any animal as food for another animal. It was in reference to me buying a snail as food for a puffer, which HAVE to eat snails to trim their beaks down or they can starve to death.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

They have never told me that...but maybe I never mentioned that i was buying feeder guppies as food for other fish. I would just avoid mentioning it in the future. isnt that why mice are so cheap? they're food for snakes, etc. (I always buy frozen but I know some people buy live)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ummm................. im pretty sure they have the section that is specifically designed to house fish that are meant to be food for other fish, hence why they are called feeder fish , i think the technical name is rosey red minnow ?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

go to the grocery store and get some fresh clams or oysters.............that'll keep him busy for a while, my buddy has a huge dog face puff and he makes him work on clams the size of your fist to keep his beak in check, he also pops the clams with a hammer too so he's not grinding away at every one

jweb

by jweb

No the girl told me they cannot sell any live animals as food for another animal. They have frozen rats they sell as snake food. The only thing live is crickets. She was VERY adament on that. She told me if they think someone is buying something to feed to another animal they have to refuse selling it. I was like whoa sorry to burst your bubble. It's a SNAIL!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hey man snails have rights too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao wtf is this world comming to -

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Jweb,

is your chat engine still up and running? and does anyone use it? i had a shortcut on my desktop to it but now it just takes me to aquatricks..................

Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

what kind of puffer is it? its relatively easy to get your own snail population going in a 5gal. I'm assuming you were talking about buying apple or mystery snails which are too large to make for efficient dwarf puffer food, since they'll just kill it and eat a little and let the rest rot...

I believe even some of the larger puffers will take whole pond snails or ramshorn snails(shell and all)..both of which you can raise populations of the hundreds of in a 5 gal tank. It would probably be as simple as getting a plant and housing just the snails (maybe 1 or 2 small fish you know won't eat them) and giving them excess fish food.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Buy yourself some Nassarious snails........cheap.......and they will eat what ever of there brothers is left. Carnivourous snails, that will hide unless they smell food. Mr. Puffer will say YUMM.

jweb

by jweb

I have a GSP. He's still pretty small though. I have NO LUCK trying to breed them. I've had them in 2 different tanks, none would breed...

Petsmart...

22 posts • Page 1 of 3