Anubias Nana

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

janus

Anubias Nana

by janus

Hi there! I'm trying to attach my Anubias to bogwood but I don't want to use cotton or fishing line, cause it doesn't look good. Can I just pin it through the rhizome to fasten it to the wood? Will the pin demage the plant? Thank you!

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii27 ... 08bpin.jpg

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Probably not if you pin it below where new roots are comming out, though I usually do use thread or rubber bands. Nice plant, esp attatched to wood.

janus

by janus

Hi Peter!
Your reply was too late, I was affraid to use the pin so I've used thin wire to tighten it to the wood. But thanks anyway and you're right it is a nice plant! And I heard it's very tough so it's great for beginners!
Thanks again!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Anubias is my favorite plant of all. I love how there are so many different sizes to use to landscape a tank and that it doesn't need much light. It even has a flower which is pretty cool. I have the "Bartari" which has leaves up to 6 inches long all the way down to "nana", and some of mine have leaves the size of a dime. The roots are so amazing and magical as they follow the path of least resistance and mold to the contours of wood or rocks on it's way to the gravel. It grows slowly(depending on light) but eventually you'll have loads of it. You should be able to take the wire off after a few months if you want. PS: Impressive planted tank you have there, especially since you only have 15 watt bulbs. You've proven me wrong about those little bulbs as I've said and it's not just me, that you can't grow anything with those. Peter

janus

by janus

Hi Peter!
I love the way you described Anubias! It made me even more excited about my little "Nana". It's roots started to grow already can't wait till it's reaches the gravel! Thanks for the compliment on my tank you should see it now it's a jungle ! I don't think it's only matter of watts but what kind of lighting you have.
You have interesting beasts in your tank and I guess it looked better before the algae problem (still good looking though) .I hope you solved the red algae already. j

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I only temporarily knocked it back. I need to set up a bare quarantine tank, or reverse quarantine tank, where my fish can be separated from the algae or anything that has this algae on it, and then do copper. It's very slow growing and I'm maintaining water pH and trying to get a bunch of snails going in the meantime. I had to remove so much of the plants in my tank and I'm enjoying watching them grow back. I heard that the brush algae is usually found in low pH so maybe I've got it under control keeping the pH at 7.0. I hope.

janus

by janus

That's sounds like a lot of work and worry. Sorry I know nothing about brush algae . I've tried to do a little research but I found nothing useful. Good luck with it anyway!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thank you.

janus

by janus

Hi Peter, I just want to let you know that my Nana is flowering and the roots did reach the gravel. I did split the rhizome so I have 2 Nanas now and I will have at least 3 more soon. Thanks for being there at the begining ! Btw what's the story with the brush algae? j

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wow! The flower is great acknowledgement of a happy plant.

The brusgh algae is coming back in my 100 gallon and I'll do a huge bleach job on everything and super dooper rinse to get the bleach out. I plan to try and take the plants and wood with attached moss and plants and spray EXCELL on them and let them sit. It's supposed to kill the b algae without killing the plants. I may use dilute bleach with them too to make sure I've killed it.

I have another 35 gallon planted tank with DIY co2 and 6 algae eaters and the brush algae in there is being trimmed down by them pretty good. I've taken some of the brush algae infested plants from the 100 gallon and used them to fill out the smaller tank and it's starting to look sweet.

I need the fish to clean up a little more, I need to take most of the hundred plus mosquito fish babies and 30 or so tilapia babies and replace them with a school of neon or cardinal tetras, and I need to put a dark blue backing on this tank and it'll be ready for pictures.

I'm glad your anubias is growing well. Send some pics if you can.

Anubias Nana

21 posts • Page 1 of 3