Is a denitrator worth it?

32 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Oh...given my lack of space right now, and for as far ahead as i can see, i was going to put that sandbed into my tank. Right now, the sand bed in my tank is about 2 inches deep.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

hmmmmm, well do it slowly, add a bag.......see if it helps. Make sure you rinse it really well before you put it in your tank. What kind of skimmer do you have on your tank?

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Yeah, I plan on adding it slowly. I'm just not sure exactly HOW SLOWLY I add the sand in. How much could I safely add at a time without the bacteria going sour on me?

Also, if I do a small section at a time, is a small amount of the bacteria going sour going to be a major impact on my tank? My original idea was to add the sand so a small section at a time went up to 5 or 6 inches deep and work my way across the tank. That way, there would be at least some part of the sand bed that was deep enough to start developoing the nitrate eating bacteria, so when i expanded the deep sand bed, the new deep section would populate with that bacteria more quickly.

My other idea, was to pull the sand out down to the glass for the section I planned on doing (small sections at a time), and rinse it all under hot water (not only to clean the debris out, but to kill any bacteria to prevent the bacteria from souring). I figure that way, there would be no chance of bacteria souring, and the bacteria that's in the rest of the sand and on the rocks can easily migrate back to the new sand. Should work right?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Before you go out and buy a bunch of sand....Try what I do first. If you add one teaspoon of sugar per 50 gallons a month......it will cause a bacteria bloom enough to surge your bacteria and help your nitrates. So pull out your sugar, and pour maybe 4-6 teaspoons in your tank. Bacteria like everything in this world thrive off of glucose, so if you add straight sugar, it will boost your populations of bacteria and help you with your nitrates. It wont hurt anything in your tank either. If your really into that....you can also use vodka. Theres a link about vodka dosing. Its VERY effective. but sugar works just as well.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... rue&cat=53

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

So I put the sugar in my tank (6 teaspoons), and now I can't see more than 2 feet(ish) into my tank. How long til the water clears up? Roughly...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

AHHH, bacteria bloom, just what it needed. Give it a few days, it will subside. Im glad to see your tank reacted to it so well. That means your bacteria is healty. or at least it is now. :) if your running a filter pad of any means it will take most of the cloudyness out. But for the most part its just a bloom and should only take a few days. :) Do a nitrate test in 3-4 days. see your results. :)

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Filter pad as in a quick filter? I do have the coarse sponge, fine sponge and filter pad in my canister filter....but my powerhead went out on me and stopped working. Waiting 3-4 days for the new one to be dropped off by Fed Ex.

Good to hear that's what supposed to happen though. Not gonna lie, I started to panic a little bit this morning when I woke up lol.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

understandable. Im glad you did it, reminded me it was time for me to do it. haha. my corals LOVE it when I add some in my tank. I dont know why......but they extend just that extra bit when I add a little sugar. your skimmer will take it out and the bacteria will consume most of it. :) Hows the tank looking?

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

It's starting to clear up now. Can see about 3 feet into the tank now lol. And yeah, my skimmer is taking it out I'm guessing. Coming out as pure foam...and it won't condense in the collection cup very well though. Ugh. But if it means a significantly lower nitrate level, so be it!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

after you continue to see it clear up, test out your nitrates. I was sitting up at the lfs and told my buddies about using sugar......they thought I was out of my damn mind. So one of them was like, im going to try it....and now he too does it about once a month. After the intial 6 teaspoons you did, I would cut back to 3-4 a month. You could even do 2 bi weekly if you wanted. Do realize though it hightens your bio load....just not your nitrates. :) it will spike ammonia though for a few hours.

Is a denitrator worth it?

32 posts • Page 3 of 4