Funny Things in the Aquarium.

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

megski

by megski

I've had my fish tank going on two months now, and as barren and crappy as the 'aquascape' is inside my tank, its always the first thing company is drawn to when they come over. My husband had a friend over tonight and the two of them were trying to find Johnson, the pom pom crab who, for the passed few nights, has crammed himself away in his little crevice. I gave the fish a little food and took out the mysis shrimp I had specifically bought for Johnson, the pom pom crab. I've tried several different ways to feed Mr. pom pom crab, but to my dismay, the shrimp always seem to float away to rest on the floor and be eaten by the hermit crabs before Johnson gets to eat them. I haven't seen Johnson on his nightly strolls in the passed few nights so I have been afraid of him not eating. I got the idea of cutting a small portion of the mysis cube, and placing it near him before it would thaw completely and float away. This worked and as soon as the mysis shrimp was in place, Johnson hurried out of his hole (in broad 'daylight') to snatch up his shrimp. My three hermit crabs, who were eating on the rocks nearby, also took notice of the shrimp and those little fatties went flipping, crawling, and flopping off the rocks any way they could and were able to get to the shrimp first. Johnson was a little hesitant at first, but said, "Those are my damn shrimp!" and scuttled over to the hermits, whacking each of them, knocking one of the smaller crabs over, and took his shrimp back into his hole. He kicked hermit crab ass, lol.

I never knew fish and these little inverts could have such personalitites. Does anyone have a story or something interesting to tell about your aquatic little pets?

*No hermit carbs where harmed in this story by Johnson the Pom Pom Crab's tiny, flailing anemone.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Amphipods are soo small.....most people dont pay them any attention. But I have watched mine, and its interesting to watch how they group together, and almost form clans in my refuge. There will be a female with eggs and four or five males around her, and then on the other side of the fuge......same thing..........in between.....NOTHING. its cool to watch behavior and inspect whats going on. :)

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

My fish watch tv. and it freaks my boyfriend out because he sits at the end of the couch closest to the tank. They're always peering over his shoulder to watch the light of the television once the overhead lights are out. And when he looks at them they turn their attention to him...its like "hey we can watch too!"

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha, turn the cartoons on!!!!

kelbri

by kelbri

What's their favorite show, Finding Nemo, The Reef, Free Willy, Ace Ventura? I love it. I have heard before that fish like watching TV. You usually never notice though, since you're also watching the TV and not the fish tank.

I love watching our guppy fry. The tank that holds about 20 of them is in my sons room. If all the lights are off in the room, and I come to turn on their light in the morning to feed them, they are already all noses (do they even have noses =) pressed to the glass at the top of the tank waiting for their meal. It's soo funny. How do they even know I'm there? On the other hand, my son terrorized our bigger tank when it was at a spot that he could get at it. It used to be that everyone in that tank acted the same way as the fry. After the terrorization, it took a while, but they're getting back to the point where they will come beg for food.

megski, I can't wait to get our SW tank up and running to see how all the little critters interact in there. They can be such a little social club =)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i had a large anemone hermit crab [RIP Sabastian] and at night he would come to the front of the tank and watch tv too....................got to the point when he was big enough he would steal the rmote from us during the day and hide it under a rock - - -ok maybe not, but he was a good size boy, bought the size of a baseball

megski, i cant help but comment on being happy your husband found his "johnson" lmao .....sorry that was just to open to not grab

glad he holds his own with the armored hermits, lol

kelbri

by kelbri

Bwahahaha Snow! The guys at work at this moment are wondering what the hell I'm laughing so hard at all by myself. Johnson... classic!

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

lol YAY JOHNSON somehow i totally thought of futurama when I read the story and thought about Dr. Zoidberg and his woop woop woop noises when hes scuttling lol.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

My 55 gallon African Mbuna tank sits on the floor for now. Well, from the time I bought it and set it up on the floor my one cat likes to lay in front of it and watch the fish. My male Red Zebra gets soooo upset! LOL Where ever she is laying, he charges her, postures, swims in circles, etc. She teases him back by swatting once in awhile, but mostly she just teases him by laying there. I am positive she knows what she is doing LOL. She will look to see what side of the tank he is at and lay on that side on purpose!

Another fun thing lately is my Bolivian Ram dad is extremely protective of his kids. In the beginning, when he charged the glass when I stuck my face up to it the kids would huddle and hide. Now they come rushing to the front looking for food and this upsets him to no end! He charges me, tries to shoo the kids back, but we both ignore him hahahaha

Hit reply to see my Red Zebra going after my cat :-)
1763b-100_2215.JPG
f49b6-100_2239.JPG
df515-100_2223.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Just thought of another cute one. I got myself one of them Apple/Mystery Snails recently, coolest thing ever! I will put a piece of zucchini rubber banded to a rock in the tank for him. He will munch it down to nothing in a day! Well, last couple times I looked in the tank while he was on it my two Otto cats were on HIM eating the algae off his shell! I think that is what they are doing anyways. So here's this big ol snail on a chunk of zucchini, munching away and here are a couple Otto cats on him munching away! I have to remember to get a picture next time I notice it. :-)

22 posts • Page 1 of 3