Is a denitrator worth it?

32 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Drill the side and put an overflow there or just use a box like an Eshopps Overflow Box.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

i highly reccomend a C siphon overflow. It will work fine. You could even put a few 29 gallon tanks. and plumb them together. The problem with the canister going to the sump is you wouldnt be able to match the pumps speeds.....aka overflow all over the floor.

barnsey

by barnsey

Well live rock in the sump dosnt differ alt all from live rock in the aquarium other than the fact that it will be white not purple lol,it still works just the same.
In my opinion liverock is the single most important elemant of a reef system so the more you have the better your nutrient export.
I dont know an awful lot about the model of dentrifier you are looking at but after doing a bit of surfing on Wetweb media i cant find a single instance where one of the guys that answer the questions talk about low maintenance,quite the opposite.
They do however say that they work well if maintained properly,so if the one your talking about really is easy to operate id go for it,but with a bit of caution

josmoloco

by josmoloco

With an algae scrubber, you can ditch the skimmer and have a regular supply of copepods all in one, means more coarline, better color and they are open all day.(I think?)

barnsey

by barnsey

I wouldnt ditch my skimmer for anything,just my opinion though.

Refugiums/algae scrubbers are good but not infallible calerpa in particular has a habbit of dying off all at once,and several types of algae require constant tumbling,others are as tough to keep as some corals.
i would never rely on one method,hence i will always have a skimmer
Your right about the copepods,however i have an awful lot of them in my sump which has only liverock and is unlit,i dont think they are too fussy tba.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

scrubbers are okay.....but they will yellow your water and tend to smell. And they take constant cleaning to stay effective. UGH. its a pain in the rear. Oversize your skimmer, add a refuge with minimal sand and algae. If you want to try out the xenia scrubber.......all it will do is make you money if it doesnt pull your nitrates down. Either way its good. And, agreed, skimmer is a must. Algae scrubbers are good, but if they crash. you have no back up. and a yellow tank full of nutrients. Bigger is better.

http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Octopus ... oc1047.htm

this paired with a refuge, and your water will be crystal clear. :)

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Another option I'm now looking at... A Deep Sand Bed (4-6 inches).

Apparently it's a similiar setup or concept as a denitrator, where the lower levels have the aerobic bacteria that can't live where there's a lot of oxygen in the water, and will eat the nitrate for food.

Opinions?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

use a refugium with a dsb. :) same concept. I have 5-7 inches in my refuge, and nothing ever shows up on tests.

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

Good to hear... Now to find a place that's cheap enough so I don't spend have to spend several hundred on the sand lol. Apparently with putting in place THAT much sand, there's a VERY high chance of the bacteria souring and wiping out my tank.... So it sounds like i'd have to soak it all in hot water or something first.

I added it up, and I need another 600-650lbs of sand **in addition** to what i already have. UGH. Looks like it's time to talk to a truck driver who has a run goin to florida! lol

fihsboy

by fihsboy

.......600lbs. JESUS! how big are you making your refuge......you dont need a giant one. 20 gallons would be MORE than enough. in that case you would need about 80lbs or two bags. if you want some mangroves ill ship you some. but then you will need good lighting on your refuge. My mangroves like 10000k. Thats what they have been rooted on.

Is a denitrator worth it?

32 posts • Page 2 of 4