Soooo..... What do you think?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I was looking thru the top 10 for something to do while I let my water settle down before putting everything back in the tank. My Africans love to play in an empty tank that is part empty so I let them play.

Anyhow, saw this tank, then read this person's advice! Yikes! Think you all could get away with a 20% water change ONCE every 2-3 months??? I hope no one uses this advice! Imagine the horrible buildup in the water these poor Angels live in!

Check it out....
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/27292

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I am no good at explaining waste buildup in water, maybe one of you all can explain to this person why his advice is so deadly!

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

WOW! 2-3 months... I feel bad when I go 2-3 weeks without at least a partial change and gravel cleaning. The angels are beautiful though :).

jweb

by jweb

It's like peeing and pooping in a swimming pool and swimming in it every day. is that a good enough explanation?

snowboss

by snowboss

and in his case like being an elephant pee and pooping in a swimming pool everyday - - -i think the only way to build up more waste than big angel would be gold fish or maybe a couple giant koi

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I went almost four months without a water change......It can be done. With careful feedings and great filtration. I wouldnt recommend it though.....Sometimes I wonder if people just post pictures of others tanks and say its theres.

volcom

by volcom

not gunna,lie. i have. haha but the one i have now is real

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

As far as the buildup of waste, you should have the filtration to take care of the big particles of waste.

As far as the chemical levels, once established, the Nitrite and Amonia should be taken care of by the biological filter. One thing I'll be trying personally, is using a deep bed to develop the bacteria that feed off of the Nitrate instead of the oxygen. Assuming it works, it will cut down on my need for water changes by A LOT. So 2-3 months should be feasible.

The only downside to not doing water changes, is that if you have a saltwater tank, you will deplete the natural vitamins and trace elements that are normally in the water (they have supplements you can add for this). As far as freshwater water changes, you'd have to be insanely lazy to not do them.

They have a pump you can use to hook up to the faucet to drain the water from the tank directly into the sink, and refil the tank at the same time. Add some water conditioner once done (or RO water if you prefer), and you're done... 15 minutes for your average tank tops. And this little gadget is CHEAP....$15 at wal-mart.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ive wanted to post others pics and call them mine, oh I have wanted to. But I never have. I love how he says a good clean every 2-3 years.....that tank would be RANK if you didnt clean it throughly for 2 years. haha. oh well.

Rachie9643

by Rachie9643

Oh I've actually heard worse =.=. One of my friends (sadly) told me that he has a tank full of silver dollars that he doesn't even feed on a regular basis. He hasn't changed the water in like 2 - 3 years or something and he doesn't do like small water change either. And yet his fish still survive. They either have a death wish against him and don't want to die before that happens, or they're just extremely resilient to EVERYTHING. It blew my mind when he told me and all our other friends were laughing because I was just stunned in silence. How the heck do the fish live!! I mean he must have created a heck of a ecosystem in there. From what others say his tank doesn't even look all that dirty. I think I've been duped by the fish cleaning police xD.

As for my own tank, I think cleaning the tank is actually fun. I enjoy it and it's rather relaxing. My betta likes to investigate the gravel vacuum while I clean his tank and he stays around the top area while I clean. ^^ I clean bi-weekly only 5-10% of the water each time so he gets frequent but smaller cleanings two times a week and a tank cleaning once a month.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2