refuge or frag rack?

35 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

refuge or frag rack?

by fihsboy

Im thinking about buying a new stand and canopy and making my setup look really nice. Problem is, I will need a new sump. Should I go with a refuge? or should I go with a frag rack in the sump?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

did you see those pics Jweb posted..there was both...its a bad ass sump..post em J :)

jweb

by jweb

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well my problem is, that I will only be able to fit a 20" or a 24" which would leave me with either three 8" sections or three 6 1/2 inch sections....which isnt much. Besides the fact that I have a mag 9.5 into the tank..I get a lot of detritus build up.....so im not really sure what to do. Everything is healthy....but im just not happy with my big ugly home built stand.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Jweb - What is the advantage of taking out the bio-balls and replacing them with LR?

I asked my LFS when I first got my tank and asked them the same question, and he told me that I shouldn't replace them because eventually one of my fish will get ick, and once I treat my system with copper it will kill and of the bacteria that built up on the LR. What is the best way to set this up?

snowboss

by snowboss

K heres a fuge question .........my new tank has 2 overflows and 2 returns through the bottom of the tank - - -the guy who i got it from just ran both overflows into the sump the returned on both returns from the sump to the tank.

can i take one side of the tank and run it to a fuge then return it to the tank and let the other side run through the sump and return to the tank - - -or should i run everything through the sump and then the fuge then return OR fuge then sump OR sump and pull some out through the fuge and back to the sump and then to the tank

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA whats the order of things here dam it.....lol

ideas??

i have a factory sump and then a 29 gallon tank and a 55 gallon tank available for fuge or other stuff - - im going to have to put the skimmer in one of the tanks as the new skimmer wont fit in the sump i have now

teach me oh saltwater gods.........................lol

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

the problem with running it into two tanks and having two returns.....is you have two tanks to top off. They wouldnt stay where you needed them to. You could run it to each tank.....but the refuge would have to drain into your sump. no biggie.

snowboss

by snowboss

so lets use left and right overflows and returns - - - -

i would drop the left overflow box directly to the sump

the right one i would run into a fuge with a skimmer section and then down into the sump

from there use the one large return pump to pump back to the display on both left and right returns

sound correct? - if so do i want to skim then fuge or fuge then skim ?

lol im not even gonna think about where to put the UV system until it's needed

note: I will be running and auto top off directly from one of the RO/DI sytems on the sump itself

now back to fuge size - - should i use the 55 gallon tank with a skimmer section or the smaller 29 gallon with a skimmer compartment? the skimmer will easily take up half of as 29

Boss

jweb

by jweb

Don't put anything in the bio-ball area. I just recently took it all out and placed it in the bottom. The idea is that anything that isn't under water will produce nitrates. Keep all your live rock under water, and leave the bio-ball chamber empty. Just let the water fall.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

honestly....I would run the 55 as an all in one. Less hassle. but thats just me. And use the 29 as an ATO tank. :) beautiful. You wouldnt have to fill it until it was time for a water change. I would use the first compartment of the 55 as a skimming chamber.......then fuge.....at least two sets of baffles.....4 would be better to catch detritus......and then return chamber with an ato float switch. That would be the optimal sump. a 55 is so long it would be perfect as an all in one.

refuge or frag rack?

35 posts • Page 1 of 4