refuge or frag rack?

35 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

stevek

by stevek

:)SteveK
e89a3-IMG_0071-1.jpg

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Boss:
I agree with fihsboy. Use the 55 as the sump and use the 29 as top off tank. I put my refugium first and then the skimmer in middle and retrun at the end or last. The reason for the refugium first is so the excess food that does not get eaten will flow into the refugium and be food for any copod. And whatever does not get eaten in refugium with be skimmed out before returning to tank.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I posted an idea for the sump, hopefully it comes up. IF not press reply.
But its a top down view. This is the design im going to use....I just have to buy a 15 gallon tank and see if I will be able to compress it to that size.....

http://i44.tinypic.com/acq5wh.jpg
5241c-sump idea.jpg

fihsboy

by fihsboy

By the way.....I drew it to 55 gallon proportions. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

nice - -all good ideas people THANKS !!!!!

i think i will start plans for an all in one 55 gallon sump/fuge i like the simplicity of it

the top off will be direct from the ro/di unit so no need for a top off tank but i will use the 29 for salt mix and do water changes in the sump - -ill have to try my hand at tank drilling and put a drain in the skimmer section so i can drain off water from that section while draining new salt water into the return section at the same time - - it'll take some tuning but i should be able to do a 29 gallon water change with basically no interuption to the display tank at all - - - -does anyone know if all tank bottoms are NOT tempered? i don't want to try a side drill and shatter the tank and i can do everything through the bottoms of the tanks

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

WELLLLLLL Just some food for thought. But even melevs reef will say this. You shouldnt connect your RO unit to your tank directly.....reason being....what if your float valve fails......your putting 100 gallons a day of fresh in a saltwater tank.......thats BAAAAAAAAAAD news. If you at least have a resivior (my spelling sucks) then it would put no more than 29 gallons in.....a BIG plus. Now you could get a 55 gallon drum.....with a mag drive 7 and hook up some 3/4 inch tubing.....and top off your 29 once a week without a problem. And just let your RO water top off your 55 gallon drum. Then if it fails going into the drum.....you just have water everywhere instead of watereverywhere and dead fish. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

good point my friend ............lol if i can happen it will happen to me

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I know its one more step......and a little more money. But it will give you piece of mind. My lfs had a float valve fail on his Fresh water resevoir, it was bad. It was about 14 hours of RO water off the back dock into the parking lot. Store was flooded, it caused a lot of damage. Personally.....I would set up a 55 gallon drum, or a few.....turn it on let it top it off........and turn off the unit. your membranes will last longer too. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

damn that would suck..............what is the purpose of an auto top off if you can't trust the valves? are they that sketchy? it makes complete sense not to run the ro/di directly to the tank though

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well, snails can climb on them.....and eventually debris may keep it closed or open, either way it stinks.

refuge or frag rack?

35 posts • Page 2 of 4