Breeding Guppies

27 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

Breeding Guppies

by adehaan86

I just have a few questions about breeding guppies,

1 . do you need a breeder box or just highly recommeded?

2. This okay for a breeder box?
http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Lee-s ... SiteSearch
3. if I have a buch of fake plants in the bottom corner will that do or still go with a 5 dollar breeder box?

And any other suggestions?

zambize

by zambize

To breed guppies you just need to put a male and female together. And it is nice to have some lush top cover. They are top-dwellers, not bottom-dwellers. They breed like rabbits and don't really need anything special...in my experience. Just put 'em together and you'll have babies.

Z

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Any Tips to help from parents eating them?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

the easiest way is to have a 10gal breeding tank and move the parents out right after the newborns arrive. However, these were some of my first fish as a new hobbyist and I was quickly overwhelmed with the vast number of survivors in a 10gal community tank. Most of them went to a friend and ended up food for her larger fish. As Z says dense floating plants will ensure you have plenty of survivors. If you're breeding out of shear curiousity be wary of further inbreeding, and if you're looking to give back to your LFS for a bit of monetary gain you'll need to re-invest by getting different adults to breed with the offspring.

As with any fry you'll need sponge filtration, or you'll find them in your filter as we did. They can survive for awhile in a low powered HOB filter but I don't think a canister filter would be quite so hospitable...

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Alright this is my plans, a 20 gallon tank with a HOB filter(already have) with some sponge over the filter to save them. I may put a splitter down the middle to separate a little older guppies with the new fry. Other wise you said a dense floating plants? Like what? can you send me links to pictures of what your referring too? Also Should I just put a lot of fake plants on the bottom of my tank. Also I have a 29 gallon that stores my adults. It okay once there about ready to pop to move them to the 20 gallon or too much stress? I mean if I use a splitter then they got 10 gallons a piece a lot nicer then a stupid HOB breeder thing.

Tell me what you think, thanks in advance.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

O ya, I found a local listing, A guy is giving me over 100+ Guppies, just little Fry, I plan /hope raising them for a few months then selling at the more mature age.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Try hornwart for a floating plant. I really like them, sorry I cant upload a pick for ya. Just a side thought, got nothin on the guppies.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Also you might double check your store if they'll buy guppies from you. I had guppies breed and some of them weren't nearly as good looking as the ones my LFS sells. And they don't sell that many guppies to begin with because nobody really likes them.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Im doing it more for fun then anything. If they breed too much. I will buy a divider and spilt the males and females up till my count lowers. I see them on local listings a lot and gone within a couple days.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

water sprite is a good one I used to have some in my 16gal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjz17-vBUdQ
It branches out fast and sends down long thick root structures.

anarachis will float, grow fast, and pretty dense with 2.5wpg+. I have some on the right side, and its filled in a lot more since the video. Forgive the hideousness of my tank. -.-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC_LL3u78NM

You could also float java moss in and around the other floating plants to make it more dense than it already is.

and like TT says hornwart.

Breeding Guppies

27 posts • Page 1 of 3